Early to Bed Vs Late to Bed

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by kumaran, May 5, 2009.

1. kumaran

kumaran
    uix_expand uix_collapse

"Early to Bed and Early to Rise makes the man healthy, wise & wealthy". This is a common proverb that used to be heard in my young age...I have seen my grandfather, who still gets up early in the morning and go for a walk before taking his bath. By the time, other members in the family get up, he must be reading the newspaper with a refreshing bright face. He is almost 80, but still strong and active to do all sorts of job, a normal human being is supposed to do.

When I ask him, how he has been able to maintain such a healthy lifestyle at this age, he will just say that for a healthy life, early to be and early to rise is must.

For a refreshing beginning, get up early in the morning and don’t miss to watch the sunrise. Watching the sun to be rising is said to be the greatest meditation of all. The sunrise scene gives us a soothing and calm effect on our mind. Doing this, your day will be full of life and brightness.

These days, people go for exercise at any time of the day according to their convenience. However, we are naturally built in such a way that we should do our exercises in early morning due to various factors like temperature, peaceful environment and etc. If you can make it to get up early then go for jogging or walking in early morning. You will get a lot of fresh air, which increases the fitness levels.

All the above facts hold great to me untill I heard the proverb "Late to bed and Late to Rise is a symptom of Intelligence" .. I trying to search in article also about the difference in two styles of people habits... and why this difference in opinions.....

Can you throw some thoughts on this...???

2. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome kumaran to BusinessAdviceForum!

Actually, I was thinking about this same thing Last night. " Early to bed and early to bed " makes people healthy and wise. Well, a good sleep is essential for all. When you don't sleep well, then you may be sick/lazy/inactive or get attacked by dieases. So to be healthy Good sleep is necessary. A child requires 8 hours of sleep every night and an adult, a little less like 7 hours. If we don' t sleep properlyand work for alot of time then we may be dull. We can say " All work and No sleep " can make a man dull and weak.

kumaran, Yeah about the proverb "Late to bed and Late to Rise is a symptom of Intelligence" It's something like when you work late, you will need some time to give your body and mind rest. Sleeping isn't bad, sleeping for longer time is bad. Anything that is more can hamper us. When you work late night, you need some time for the body and mind to rest and refresh. So, when you wake up, the things which you know stays at your mind or you won't forget. For example: You study late night, the next morning you wake up so fast or early but your body becomes lazy and weak. And your mental power also weakens due to weak/inactive/lazy body. You feel sleepy. The body isn't very active to think. But when you wake late or wake up after getting enough sleep, then your body is active and your mind is fresh. You can sort out solutions to problems or remember things which you learnt last night. It makes path to the "Intelligence". I think this is how the proverb means.

Also, Sleeping like 10 minutes at day time can also make you not forget most of the things which is also proved by science.

#2 TimeRider, May 5, 2009
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'm an early riser myself. During the week I get up about 6.30 but later on the weekends. Unfortunately the weekends throw my schedule out a bit and make it more difficult to get up early during the week. It's difficult to get up early on the weekends if you have a social life that involves late nights.

For the last few months I've been setting my alarm clock to go off about 2 or 3 minutes earlier every week. So every week I get up about 2 or 3 minutes earlier than the week before. This is not difficult to do this time of year, when the days are getting longer and the mornings brighter. It will be more difficult to maintain this discipline in the Autumn and Winter, when the mornings are getting darker and colder.

There was a time when I exercised in the morning, but now due to family and work commitments, I find it more practical to walk in the evenings. Similar to what Devilbatista said, I can't work too late in the evenings. If I do my mind is still turning when I go to bed and I don't get a decent night's sleep.

4. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have adjusted myself to all kinds of lifestyles..that is my body response to any situation..whether it is rising early in the morning or sleeping late in the night & then still rising early in the morn...The only thing I give emphasis on to is 4 hrs of necessary sleep daily..Then on the basis of situation & circumstances, it can raise upto max. of 8 hrs...I have trained my body for such type of situations as in this hefty world of competition we can not afford to relax more than that is just needed by our body////:)

5. Webestrian

Webestrian
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me it's Always "Late to bed and late to rise" OR "Late to bed and early to rise" (When i have to go office ;)

6. kumaran

kumaran
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for your replies.. On seeing the response its evident that everybody has their own style of life. And if their style changes a little bit it would result in a uncomfortability for them. Webestrian, not only you most of the IT folks follow this strategy "late to bed and late to rise". like fergel only few people are following the early to bed and early to rise one, and of course as devilbatista said this keeps you healthy. devilbatista gave much clear explanation.... Its very rare to adjust to two styles ...I think Scifi is doing this...

Nice to hear the experiences....

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Would you feel tired if you only got four hours sleep for a few days in a row? I know it wouldn't be enough for me and I'd find it very difficult to function properly on that little sleep.

8. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is what doctors and medical professionals normally advise their patients. It's quite a coincidence that I also got an email on this same topic. I've summarized what's indicated in the mail below.

• The detoxification process in our livers usually occur from 11pm - 1am. So that means that sleeping early is good for a healthy liver.
    • The detoxification process in our lymph gland occur from 9pm - 11pm. So this means going to bed early is good for our Antibody system.
    • Going to bed early is good for our metabolism.
    • Early to rise means that we will also be having our breakfast early. 7am - 9am are the best times for our body to absorb nutrients from food. This is probably the reason for the saying, "In the morning, eat like a king. At noon, eat like a commoner. In the evening, eat like a beggar.".
    • Sufficient sleep at night is the foremost factor in a person's ability to sustain a high performance level, cope with stress, and feel a sense of satisfaction in life. Getting enough sleep directly impacts our moods and emotions, our ability to think creatively and respond quickly.

#8 Nazreen, May 5, 2009
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
  9. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It does not effect once you are out of bed & ready for work or engage in work..because then you don't give a thought to your sleep pr tiredness...However still, I sleep for a longer course on Sundays to make up for the sleep in weekdays. It rejuvenate my body & I again feel energize ...
    Still I will say that I can not maintain this routine for all 7days a week.. its even not possible for me too..!!!:)

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You seem to have great energy Scifi, good for you. As you rightly say, personal energy doesn't just come from the body and physical things - a lot of our energy level comes from the mind.

11. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good for you Scifi. It must be nice to be young and very energetic.

As for me, upon reading this thread and the email I received, I've decided to give this a try. All the accumulated late nights might have been bad to my immune/antibody system. Hopefully it's still not too late to remedy my not so good health and improve on it.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

We all know and recognise the importance of healthy eating, regular exercise, maintaining a good sleeping pattern, relaxation and stress relief. Unfortunately it can be difficult to maintain these and put the principles into practice. Small continuous improvement is the way to go.

13. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm usually up at 5.30 and in bed anytime between 10 and 1am, closer to 1 than 10 most nights. I feel no better getting a long sleep than I do a four hour one but the fact that I sleep that long must mean I needed it. Given the choice, I'd much rather work late into the night than go to bed earlier and get up earlier.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like you're burning the candle at both ends Kay. I hope you're finding the time to eat healthy and do the things you enjoy.

15. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I appreciate the concern, Fergal. :) I have fallen by the wayside in both those respects, truth be told. I just feel I've never really got back on track 100% since the big ice storm three months ago. When you multiply out the hours over 11 days, that's a lot of lost time to catch up on in between keeping on top of the normal day to day stuff that would have been there anyway. As a result, the "me" attention I was trying to give myself had to go on the back burner awhile. At least I can see that and am conscious of it though. I shall, it will just take some time to get the balance back.

Geesh, I'm such a whiner! LOL. Sorry. :) You know what I like to say: "this too shall pass. " And it will soon, I'm sure.

16. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I might have made my life accustomed to different lifestyles & sleeping pattern( because it is the demand of corporate world today..) But I think I am still in favor of maintaining a disciplined lifestyle of early to bed early to rise.. I have heard sometimes ago in Discovery that we should be on Bed between 10:00pm-12:00pm because that is the time the magnetic field of Earth is in its weakest phase...& as such it gives our mind a much more relaxation & calm state..we will feel more relaxed if we start sleeping between 10-12 at most late..:)

17. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

There is an old phrase in Ireland along the lines that "an hour's sleep before midnight is worth two hours' sleep after midnight" it's interesting to see people posting some scientific reasons as to why this might be so. It's rare for me to get much sleep before midnight, I must make an effort to change that.

18. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A proper sleep is necessary for good health! If you keep on sleeping for very short hours every night, it will affect your body and mind. Your mind and body should be rejuvenated with enough sleep.

19. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have a piece of advice for all those people like me who often have to adjust themselves to changing sleeping patterns is that, try to take a nap of 25-30 min. in the afternoon in between the busy work schedule.
    It will dispel off your tiredness & you will fresh & rejuvenated once again, ready for work once again with full energy....

20. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've read that a lot of very successful people take naps and it gives them the energy to work longer and harder. I've mixed feelings about them myself. I feel better after a nap, but sometimes find it harder to sleep at night if I've had a nap during the day.