E-Mail Marketing

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by flora, Mar 24, 2010.

1. flora

flora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What is E-Mail Marketing and how does it work?

2. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Email marketing involves building a quality list of people through your site, usually with a magnet, or bribe to get them to sign up. Most people use an autoresponder service or tool in the back end of their website to send broadcast messages.

For example I know of a local butcher who does it well, customers who want to plan their shopping can get the weekly specials by email. Everyone has opted in to receive it and they set up one message that was broadcast in one hit to all of those subscribers.

It is often sued to drive people to information on a site rather than used to directly sell.

If you wanna ask some specific questions it'll make it easier to answer, or you can have a look at some services like aweber, getresponse, infusionsoft etc which generally have great info on how to run email marketing campaigns.

3. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Another E-mail Marketing i know are those person that keep sending bulk message that contain the product that they are selling. Sometimes it will catch some attention to clients but most of the time they are treated as spam. I don 't think it is an effective way when it comes to marketing.

4. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I consider those Span not email marketing! Email marketing is a tool and if you focus on building a quality list, then you use email marketing to build a relationship with them not to just spam them with buy this stuff!

5. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yup, that's is why i called them spam. Because I received such emails most of the time just to advertise their product. I don't know if they find it effective marketing but if your going to ask me, it doesn't make any sense in terms of marketing tools.

6. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Youngkia1 you are absolutely right that it doesn't make marketing sense. It does get you a lot of spam complaints and most autoresponder providers (if they're using one) will shut their account down and ban them.

7. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yup, agree. So how about the pay-per-click ads. What do you think about it? is it an effective way as marketing tools? I never get into pay-per-click before because for me it gives me a lot of cost. What are your thoughts about that?

8. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't really done PPC ads at this stage. Mainly because I seem to have a knack of getting good #1 and page 1 rankings organically.... The important thing is to use some tools that will help drill drown into completely targeted buying keywords that you can bid on really cheaply and again split test different headings etc to optimize ads.

Many marketers are optimizing facebook ads at present because of the ability to really target the ads to very specific demographics - which is great if you have identified your prospects really well and can make a really good facebook ad.

If you have a good selling site in a great niche and you have worked out how to get clicks to convert to sales easily and well then it'd definitely be worth doing a paid campaign alongside your high ranking organic campaign to see if you can increase sales that way.

I know a lot of first timers who've lost quite a bit of money of their first PPC campaign because they've missed simple and silly stuff in their set-up.... so I've not been brave enough to try because I am great at missing vital details in my first set up of almost everything I do online.

The people I know making money are great internet marketers who can afford to spend a lot because they have hit on a niche and selling techniques that convert really well and make a lot more money than they sell - ie they know what they're doing with market research, keywords, buyer psychology and online selling

9. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Are you pertaining to SEO? I have a friend who wants to use PPC ads, but he is also told about SEO by another friend of mine. He want to grow his business in car, same with me. But he's not decided yet which he will be using between PPC or SEO. If you will be ask, what do you prefer?

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

youngkia1 this thread is discussing email marketing. If you want to ask a question on another area of online marketing, you will get a better response, by starting a new thread in the relevant forum section.

11. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I feel like we've started our own little forum here.,,, (oops)

I am in SEO and do SEO well fro example for one launch campaign - within a month of set up I had page 1 listings in Google for 13 different keywords, more than half were position 1 and also included indented or mulitple page 1 listings. My best effort in that short campaign was 4 listings on the same page 1 keyword search.

My question to anyone in business is do you look at the sponsored or paid ads when you search? (not everyone does - I only do if I can't find an organic listing I want)

If you only have PPC listings on page 1 with no organic listing then you are going to be missing sales.

Think of it this way - if you were searching for something and I owned positions 1, 2, 4 and 5 on page 1 of your search results do you think there is a high probability you will buy through me? I think from search habits I may risk missing sales through PPC but they will be the minority.

If I have a PPC listing and no organic then I will be missing my majority or sales.

The big thing about SEO is people will try to sell you highly paid services wihtout necessarily knowing what they are doing or how. I know people who have paid 25 000 for a bells & whistles SEO optimized site and ongoing SEO who are languising on page 5 and others where I could only find their business if I typed in their exact business name and clicked pages from Australia.

There are plenty of SEO companies who will promise to get you to the top spot in a month - but beware and ask questions - for what keyword? If it is for your business name there really isn't a challenge - they should be able to do that within hours!

So there is on-page SEO, off-page SEO and although it can be a complicated field it is really just about how search engines can measure and estimate your relevance and what you are relevant to. It is worthwhile to get good listings and page 1 domination.

If you want some specific SEO advice, for me to look at your site to give you an idea, or to recommend the most effective but cost effective SEO service I know then just PM me.

12. Lingua21

Lingua21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I had a fair amount of success with PPC using Yahoo's services years ago but stopped using this method when their popularity shrank and they became less B2B.

I found advertisng with Google to be a bit of waste of time and lost a fair amount of money this way probably due in part to competitors and people looking for general information clicking on our listings.

Most of our work comes in through organic searches these days however I remember reading an article declaring that people in the US are more likely to go for PPC adverts whereas people in the UK are more keen to click on organic search listings.

Mike Dove

13. youngkia1

youngkia1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Opppsss.. sorry. Not my intention to interrupt this thread. Ok I i will do that. Thanks.

14. vijo

vijo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Email marketing works for a variety of reasons...

* It allows targeting
    * It is data driven
    * It drives direct sales
    * It builds relationships, loyalty and trust
    * It supports sales through other channels

Modern email marketing services and solutions support database integration, segmentation and various other tricks and techniques for improving the targeting of outgoing messages. Advanced methods generate on-the-fly emails customized down to an individual recipient basis.

And every email campaign you send out generates a heap of actionable data you can use to refine your approach and messages.

Email promotions and offers generate immediate action: sales, downloads, inquiries, registrations, etc. Informative email newsletters and other emails send people to offline stores and events, prepare the way for catalogs, build awareness, contribute to branding, strengthen relationships, encourage trust and cement loyalty.

All in all, a pretty good way of going about your marketing business.

15. laustin083

laustin083
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Email marketing is a form of direct marketing, which uses electronic messages to communicate commercial messages to an audience.
    In its broadest sense every email sent to a customer or potential customer could be considered to fall under the umbrella of email marketing.

Recently email marketing has received growing acceptance as a marketing channel that can be used to attract new customers, not
    just develop relationships with existing ones. Therefore there are two main purposes of email marketing:
    • To enhance to relationship of a company with its current customers and to develop increased loyalty and future repeat sales.
    • To attract and acquire new customers.

Email marketing works for a variety of reasons...
    • It allows targeting
    • It is data driven
    • It drives direct sales
    • It builds relationships, loyalty and trust
    • It supports sales through other channels