DropBox!

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by JPM, Feb 24, 2012.

1. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

"Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring all your photos, docs, and videos anywhere. After you install Dropbox on your computer, any file you save to your Dropbox will automatically save to all your computers, your iPhone (and Android) and iPad and even the Dropbox website! With the Dropbox app, you can take everything that matters to you on the go."

I've been using this for the past few weeks and I must say, it's the best tool i've come across for months.

We have all our files, photos and images synced between a laptop, 2 Androids, an iPad and iPod. So easy to use. If you invite a friend you get extra free monthly storage also, so if you sign up guys, let me know ;)

Check out www.DropBox.com for more info!

2. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

JPM, I think that for you to get free storage you either need to send your friends an invitation (which contains a link) or send them a link that you can get from logging on to your DropBox account. For example, my link for my DropBox referrals is http://db.tt/DqH2BIJ

I agree that DropBox is a great service but I would caution anyone against using a single "cloud" storage as your only storage. Companies go out of business, and after what has happened so far with the users who kept files on Megauploads, you always need a backup.

3. CBI Web

CBI Web
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    BAF Tech Admin
    Premium Member

Yes, I've been using Dropbox for almost 2 years now, and find it quite useful. Most of the time I use it for exchanging files for business purposes or sharing things between family members; never for storage. IMO Dropbox isn't really a solid storage solution, but it can certainly be used as one. I've even used it as a rudimentary chat program a few times just for the fun of it.

4. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It certainly isn't the only storage I have, and I definitely wouldn't use it as such bit its brilliant for being able to access files anywhere.

How do you chat using it exactly?

5. CBI Web

CBI Web
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    BAF Tech Admin
    Premium Member

Put a Notepad file in your Dropbox. If you're sharing it with someone, every time you and that person types something in the file and saves it, Dropbox notifies you of it being updated. When you're both at your computers at the same time, it's like chatting. I actually started doing that one time when Yahoo Messenger was offline for me and a friend. We used Dropbox to chat for a few minutes. It was interesting but not something to get excited about, lol.

6. Matt Damon

Matt Damon
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I also using Dropbox for almost 1 and half years now, and find it quite useful. Most of the time I use it for exchanging files for business purposes or sharing things between family members; never for storage.

7. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From the details mentioned here, I also think Dropbox should be used for sharing stuff like photos, documents, videos etc. One should not use it as a backup tool, it is always better to use your own facility for backups.

8. KalvinMartin

KalvinMartin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dropbox is a hugely popular service that provides free online file storage. Some of the Benefits of Dropbox are:
    1. Access it anywhere
    2. Use it on multiple devices
    3. It works across platforms
    4. The app is optional
    5. It’s good to share

9. Fowler

Fowler
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't tried it yet although my dad uses it or used to use it anyway. I will be trying it out at some point though as it could be quite useful.

10. amac

amac
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good service, still wary of putting critical data there though.