Drop Shipping

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by shyflower, Jun 11, 2009.

1. shyflower

shyflower
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The other day I saw a commercial on television for drop shipping. When I went to their web site, the only way to get information was to give them my phone number and snail mail address. So I did a Google search on drop shipping and was appalled by all the listings that claim most drop shipping arrangements are scams.

Does anyone here have experience with a reputable drop shipper? I am most interested in products that can be added to a garden site.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I wouldn't blame you for being wary of a drop-shipper that looked for your information like that and I'd also be wary of any suppliers who look for an up front payment before providing you with information.

You will hopefully find some helpful info in this drop shipping thread here on BAF. The OP was actually looking for similar products to you and there is a good discussion on a few of the major drop shippers.

Do you feel that your blog will generate more revenue through a drop shipper, than it would with affiliate programs such as Amazon or Commission Junction or targeted advertising such as Google Adsense?

Please let us know your thoughts and if there is anything else we can help you with.

3. shyflower

shyflower
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I had read that thread, but I am really looking for those that have had positive experience with particular drop shippers.

While affiliate programs are one route to go, in past experience with them I have had little luck. I've been out of the affiliate loop for several years, but here's my take—
    I'm a shopper. Although I may click on an affiliate link to find a product, when I go to the site I may not buy right then. If I don't, I'll bookmark the page on the site, not the page on the affiliate and return later to purchase from the site.
    I think that's true of a lot of people. When I was involved with affiliate programs, I got a lot of clicks that didn't pay off.
    Second, I want to be able to set competitive prices on the merchandise I offer. If I can find a wholesale drop shipper, I can do that. Affiliates must rely on their partner to price competitively and operate a functional and navigable website as well. I really want my own e-commerce store.
    At one time, I wrote content for such a store "Dirt Cheap Software". The owner started it by working out of his bedroom and later expanded to a brick and mortar business as well as his online store. I don't think I'll ever go brick and mortar, but I do want a robust online business that is mine.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That can certainly be an issue with affiliate programmes. However, affiliate programmes often alleviate this by using cookies, so that if the visitor returns to the site and makes a purchase within x number of days, the affiliate still gets the credit for the sale. You would have to check each affiliate scheme's individual policies to see if they provide for this and what number they assign to "x", i.e. how many days are allowed.

As an example HostGator claim that over 99% of affiliate sales are correctly tracked. Personally I'd be surprised if it is that high, because there are certain customers who will deliberately avoid using affiliate ID's.

Unfortunately I can't give you reviews from experience because I haven't used drop shippers myself. If you search the web for "dropship reviews" you need to be careful that you are reading genuine reviews and not people trying to promote their own service or referral ID's.

Good luck with it, please keep us updated as to how it is working out for you and let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

5. Norrad

Norrad
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dropshipping doesn't work as well as most people claim. It's hard work and the prices are not that low. The only benifit is that you don't have to keep stock. Avoid Doba at all costs, I used them for a few days and every time I recieved an order and forwarded on to them, they claimed to be out of stock.

6. shyflower

shyflower
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you Norrad. It's just as important to know who to stay away from as who to contact.

@Fergal: Thank you again, too. I didn't know about the cookie thing with affiliate programs. I don't believe that was in place when I first entered affiliate programs.

7. juicemane

juicemane
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have done drop shipping in the past and it could be risky business.
    My supplier sent the items to the consumer, but it was the wrong items!!
    Since then I have stopped dropshipping since it is somewhat risky and customers could be dissattified.

8. shyflower

shyflower
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks. From the general consensus so far, it looks like drop shipping isn't such a great idea and I may be better off to go the affiliate route.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

10. flashgordonweb

flashgordonweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use drop shipping for my publishing company. Works great, but is slightly higher per book then if I was able to mail out a whole bunch. However, I don't have to keep stock and can simply put in the "order" via the web so I like it. Have never had a problem yet.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Flash, I hadn't heard of people selling books through a drop-shipper before, sounds great. I notice that some of your sites use Amazon's affiliate programme, does drop-shipping work better for you than Amazon?

Are you using the drop-shipping program on any of the sites in your sig?