Don't get cocky

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Nazreen, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Have you ever wondered why when you go to a karate dojo which has been in business for 10-15 years, you would see only a few black belts and most are wearing white and blue belts? I guess this is a common occurrence and the reason for this is because after attaining blue or brown belts, the karateka started showing off to the beginners. After some time, they might have been humiliated when they got hit by beginners or even lost in a street fight, so they quit. Well, there are number of other reasons why people quit like losing interest but mostly it's because they got cocky and got humiliated. There are also a few others who learned their lesson in humility and stayed on to become black belts themselves.

This kind of thing doesn't just happen in the martial arts world but also in business. We often see traders who had an early success in trading forex or stocks and after that they got cocky. They think that by doing the same trades that they did before, they'll attain the same level of success even without doing extensive research like they did when they first became successful. I think it would have been better if they weren't successful in the beginning so they would have learned the lesson earlier on.

The Japanese have a saying, "Do things as when you were just beginning" or something like that. We should also apply this in our business and work on it like when we were just starting our business - with great enthusiasm and hard work, so we can also become black belts and masters of our business.

2. silent_thunder

silent_thunder
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Absolutely nazreen!! you nailed it on its head, its better to have a failure to start your business as it makes you learn,adapt and respect what you earn!! if everything comes to easily then there is no value to it.

over confidence is the worst opponnet for a champoin

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I have to admit to becoming too cocky at times in the past, myself. Hopefully I've learned from my mistakes, now that I know you have to work hard at whatever you do if you want it to be a success. There are very few quick fixes.

Arrogant people generally believe that they have nothing new to learn and this can lead to their down fall, as the new kid on the block works hard and learns fast. Becoming too cocky in business can often result in you expecting your customers to come to you, without you having to put the work in to satisfy their needs and desires. If you fall into this trap, it won't be long before an eager competitor looks after your clients better than you do and eats your lunch.

4. Zantetsken

Zantetsken
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think this applies to not just martial arts and business, but to a great number of things. I know I've been proud of some artwork I've created in the past, and it blinded me from seeing the mistakes that were already there. It felt good to have completed it and whatnot, and I only started criticizing the obvious flaws after a few weeks. I think it would also be important in the world of business to not get too proud of yourself just for getting your website set up or printing off some business cards; even if you feel like you're accomplishing something and that things are going well, you need to pay attention to errors and look for ways to improve.

5. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes Zantetsken, I do agree that this advice should apply to almost every endeavor that we undertake.

Making money on your first trade, getting a perfect score on your first exam... these small successes will probably be the worse thing that happens in our life especially if we let this get to our heads. I think that most of us, at one point in our lives, have become a cocky son of a gun when we got applauded and praised by our family and friends. As Fergal has said, this trap will often make us over-confident and lazy, so we won't be putting the same amount of time and effort on our business or endeavor as we did initially.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

On the other hand, we shouldn't be too hard on ourselves either. It can be motivational to celebrate and give ourselves praise for small successes.

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very true, Fergal. I grew up in a family where any sign of arrogance was quickly stomped upon. Praise was hard to come by which made even accepting compliments on my work in later life difficult for me. I've never been cocky but now I try to allow myself to enjoy small pats on the back. There's a balance there we all need to find between the two.

Cockiness is not an endearing trait but a very human one, especially in youth. It's only when you get older you see it for what it is - a bubble which will undoubtedly be burst. Like it or not, there's always someone out there smarter than you are ready to show you that soon enough. I think that lesson only comes with experience though and not before.:D

That was an excellent analogy, Nazreen. Thanks for sharing that!

8. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The Halfway Point

That's a nice way of putting it Kay. Cockiness is a bubble that will undoubtedly be burst.

While reading some manga, I came across another topic which is related to this thread of avoiding being cocky and this is The Halfway Point.

In everything that we do, whether it's a recreational activity or business, the halfway point is the most troublesome and the most dangerous. You can only go forward or jump backward. If you just run around the halfway point, you'll eventually get caught and be beaten. If you want to stay alive, you must go forward. If not, you'll just disappear.

We often see this in our everyday lives. We can see promising athletes who enjoyed some success when they were playing for their respective school teams and let that get into their heads and start slacking off practice. We can see a lot of promising business startups who also enjoyed some early success and didn't progress from there.

So in order for us to get past the halfway point, we must keep going forward. This advice is easy to say but requires a lot of hard work and discipline to put into practice.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's an interesting concept Nazreen. I read recently that when training or working towards something we reach various plateaus. When we reach these plateaus it is difficult to improve and to move forward and it is at these points that many people give up.

Successful people keep working / training when they hit plateaus and after some time find that they leap forward and upwards.

10. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I liked it too, thanks for that Nazreen. The plateau theory is new to me Fergal but I do recognize that as being somewhere I've stood at various points in life.

Truth be told, a plateau can be a comfortable place to reside awhile. You have no new demands upon you and you're just...there, basically, going through the motions within your comfort zone. My own personal solution would be to shake things up a bit and try get out of the routine (or should that be rut?) I'd settled into - find new clients, talk to new people, switch my day around, etc - and so far it's always paid off.

I've wondered before if such times of stasis happen because of fear of success. Maybe the idea of what you've been striving for actually coming into being is just too overwhelming, so you resist the final step that would make you feel you'd made it. Do you think that's possible or do I sound crazy? :eek:

Because for me the plateaus seem to occur when everything's going great ironically and something excellent is on the cards. It's like I develop this cowardly streak briefly and go into pause mode. Then by giving myself a good talking to about how I deserve success as much as the next person, I'm back to my usual motivated, upbeat self. :D

Maybe there's a gap somewhere between the feeling of wanting success and deserving it.

#10 Kay, Oct 9, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
  11. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also don't find anything wrong with staying in the plateau for a short while and celebrating. We should also celebrate our success regularly and this is a proven motivating factor for employees that most companies employ. Most companies will take their employees out for lunch or dinner when the company's business has been successful. They would also do this when a particularly difficult situation or problem has been resolved. On a smaller scale, they can always award a certificate of recognition and some bonus cash to individual employees.

I think that there are two types of people when we consider achievements - those that take pride in their achievements and those that take their achievements for granted. In both cases, their success and achievements should be celebrated.

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

An interesting idea indeed. In know that when I trained for certain sporting events I sometimes reached plateaus that I couldn't get past for some time. This may have resulted from my body having worked hard to get to that level and needing some rest before moving to the next level.

Kay, I believe that your concept would apply to many other areas of achievement and success. We generally have a level of success that we are comfortable with. As you say we are often afraid or feel that we don't deserve to move beyond that level, hence the plateau. It will be difficult to progress if we believe that we don't deserve the success or if we have accepted in our heart of hearts that we have reached our limit.

To move to the next level we need to truly know what we want to achieve, believe that we can achieve it and believe that we deserve it. Sometimes we need to re-evaluate our beliefs and values and move beyond our comfort zone.

13. smohkim

smohkim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some one needs to tell them that the regular stuff isn't going to go HIT all the time.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Smohkim and thanks for joining.

Can you please explain what you mean by that, a little more?