Don't fall for the overhyping

Discussion in 'Making Money Online' started by Winterybella, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You see it a lot on YouTube. Make $10, $15 or $20 an hour and sometimes much more here, there and everywhere. You get all excited to find out once you get involve that these figures are often unrealistic or just not attainable. On the odd occasion if the figures are within reach, it's takes you a day, a week or sometimes a month to reach the over hyped figures.

What has been your experience? Did it turn out to be everything you were told or read?

2. Danielle Davidson

Danielle Davidson
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is so true, and I find that so many people don't know that. I mean how can you expect to make that much money when you first start out online? It's not likely to happen, but somehow people still think that it will happen to them. I know from experience that it's hard to work online, and I make a couple dollars a day. In order to make that much money you would really have to work for it. If you're trying out YouTube, then you would have to try even harder to get people to come to your page.

3. Razor

Razor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

From my experience, the internet is full of people that want to exploit you. Just like a real job, it takes time to earn money because you need to gain experience. It's the same way online: you can't expect to make bank immediately. I avoid jobs online for that reason alone, and because it's hard to tell if you're being told the truth.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Winterybella

Winterybella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have to say it's been a big turn off for me at times. In my experience with online work, I think I've been fortunate enough to 'meet' a few people: forums owner and online veterans who make it all worth your while. Their honesty and transparency is the only thing that kept me coming back. I think the false advertising gives the online work a bad wrap and might be part of the reason some might never take it seriously.

5. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I totally agree with you on that. Don't fall too easily to these claims. Most of them are just pure scams specially if they are asking you to shell out money or invest in them. You have to do some sort of research first before you try to sign up with them or else you'll just waste your time and effort without gaining any decent profit from them.

6. missbishi

missbishi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I always try and check a new site out before joining up, usually by reading forums such as this one. I like to know that a site actually pays and that the withdrawal threshold is realistic first.

Of course, anything that seems too good to be true generally is.

7. Winterybella

Winterybella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have to say I am really not by nature an angry person but I do get a little upset sometimes when I see these false claims even with sites that actually pay. Sometimes you will make the $10 but not in the day as they preached. Often it will take a week or a month and maybe even a year. Truth be told it's really not that all the claims are unattainable, it just that the hype conveniently left out the arduous work that might be involved in reaching the goal.

Like Missbishi suggested, I am thankful for forums like these where you pretty much get the real deal stories. I have also found that there are some people out there who keep it real and honest.

8. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nope, just not possible to earn $ 10 or more per hour on the internet. Especially if you're just starting out, you will be in for a rude awakening if that's what you're expecting to earn. It's definitely easy to earn $ 10 - $ 20 per day if you pursue the right type of opportunities, that's a good and realistic baseline income to aim for.

Once you hit $ 20 per day, then only should you aim for something higher. Take time to build your online income in a slow and steady manner. Never buy into the hype of huge incomes, those take years of hard work to achieve - there is no easy money.

9. Briannagodess

Briannagodess
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been fooled many times by false promises like this. I had my hopes up thinking that I can earn a decent amount of money online. But honestly, earning online is just as hard work as earning in real life. You spend a lot of time in front of your gadget just to make a little amount of money. For a mom like me, I have no choice as I have to take care of a child at home. Online jobs are my only options. But if you can find a job in real life, I find that that will be easier than this.

10. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We don't call that overhyping but false advertising. I always come across with ads on loans for real estate and cars - I'm speaking of local ads in the Philippines. They always say they don't get your car but just lend you the money. And when you inquire, they are going to say a different spiel. In the internet, most writing sites that supposedly pay their writers would even display some stats on the payments. Just be sure that those stats are true.

11. Redd

Redd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If it sounds too good to be true . . .

I've seen a number of these money-making vids. The easiest to fall for are those that try to get you download some software which will run in the background, mining virtual currency. Technically all you do is install the software and earn money. Some claim to earn as much as $2 an hour doing nothing.

Hmmm . . . great way to have hackers use you computer for their subversive activities.

12. Winterybella

Winterybella
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have been reading and reading and always get so scared when it comes to downloading stuff. I have found one or two on YouTube who seem genuine enough and will tell you when you will likely make pennies and I respect that. Another issue I've been having is money sites being advertised for international workers and then when you sign up international workers never qualify for much of anything. Sometimes I want to start my own videos just to tell it like it truthfully is.

13. OhioTom76

OhioTom76
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As a general rule of thumb, if the job listing simply says that you can earn X amount of dollars per day/hour, but says nothing as to what the actual job itself entails, then it's generally going to either be a scam, or some job that nobody would want to do in the first place, and or that X amount of dollars per day/hour they are claiming is not the typical earnings, and not what an overwhelming majority of participants would ever earn.

These kinds of ads remind me of the ads I used to see in the newspapers back in the 80's and 90's - they would try to entice you by saying you could become your own boss, earn hundreds of dollars a day, and all that jazz - only to find out the job itself was for door to door sales, selling vacuum cleaners. Thanks, but no thanks.

If you have some more specialized skills, such as web development, or graphical skills, you can certainly earn more, but it's usually on a per project basis, not an hourly basis. In other words, I'll do this project for X amount of dollars and you can expect it within X amount of days, and you're allowed up to one revision.

14. m0n2k

m0n2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I noticed they tend to over hype things. Like when some one says you can make $9 or $10 a hour from a site and you can only make that in a day or so. As long as the site is actually paying I'm satisfied. It would help to start out with realistic expectations tho. As long as your getting some money that's not too bad.