domain which has a country name

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by daytrader, May 14, 2010.

1. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

will i get in trouble since i have registered a domain which has a countryname?
    say, chinatouristspots.com?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I really can't think of any reason why you would ownedbox. I've got quite a few domains with Ireland and Irish in them. I also have one or two with China in them and I've never had a problem or a complaint. If the content on your site is legal, including a country name in the domain should not result in any problems for you.

3. Domainate

Domainate
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, there's no issue with having a country, city, state or province name in a domain. The things you have to worry about are trademarks. People who register domains with Google, iPod, Verizon etc. in them are at heavy risk of losing their domains and possibly getting sued for damages to boot. That's not to say you can't have a domain with apple in it for instance, but it can't be in any way related to anything covered in Apple's tm (electronics/computers and probably music and movies too at least).

4. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As said by the two post before me, it's not really a big deal with using Country names as a term in your domain. The biggest advantage on having these terms in your domain will give you targetted traffic on topics concerning these places.

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's fine to have country name in your domain as long as it doesnt contain some bad words on it.