Domain Specific Blog

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by cyberfriend, Jan 13, 2009.

1. cyberfriend

cyberfriend
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Please give feedbacks on my brand new blog specifically focused on blogging about domains.
    onlinepokertips.ebloggy.com
    I have yet to include RSS feed icon near the header, favicon, and maybe a logo for the blog. Otherwise, the only thing lacking is blog entries, which I will try to update at a regular basis.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

A couple of quick tips at first glance below;

Your blog does not have a header design or logo. This would help to improve the professionalism and design of your blog.

The black text on green background is off-putting and is not easy to read. I'd be concerned that this may cause first time visitors to your site, to leave without reading your the content / text.

The font size of your text is very small, making it uncomfortable to read.

Have you considered getting your own domain and hosting for your blog and using something like Wordpress.org to power it?

Sorry, but none of the above is meant to be critical. However, I do feel that dealing with these items will greatly improve your blog.

I wish you the very best of luck with your blog. Please do post back here to give your opinion on our suggestions and to let us know how you are progressing with your blog.

3. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Aside from the comments by Fergal above, there's also a lot of empty spaces in your blog. These empty spaces cover more than 50% of the webpage. You might also want to look into this Cyberfriend. I viewed your blog in both Firefox and IE and they show up the same.

Anyway, hope you can improve your blog using these suggestions. Good luck!

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Fergal about the color and font size. Even if you toned the green down a little that would be better. A nice header is needed too to make you stand out as has been said. There's some excellent poker themes for Wordpress. Good luck with it! :)

5. gita

gita
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Green color is really hurting my eyes :)
    And also - don't forget that blogs have to have pictures. People don't like to read just text.
    Wordpress is a very good tool for content management. I would suggest you to use it.
    The white box on the top - what it is for?

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

With all due respect, I disagree. I wouldn't say that blogs have to have pictures. In fact I think a lot of people use pictures to distract from the fact that their content is rubbish and minimal at best. Some do prefer blogs that are more visually appealing, that's true but pics are not a must have for everybody. I'd much rather read a good blog post full of interesting content than look at one with a big picture and barely a couple of hundred words.

7. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It would be much better if you could design a specific logo for your blog to be included in the Main Heading at the top...!!!!

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

On the question of pictures in blogs, I'd have to admit that I prefer visiting blogs that use pictures cleverly. I do agree that content is the most important factor, but blogs that include some (but not too many) relevant images along with their posts, are more eye catching and enjoyable to read.

9. lara3

lara3
    uix_expand uix_collapse

These feed backs helps me more.Thanks

10. gita

gita
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do agree that sometimes you can do everything without photos however then text should be very, very good.

And it is photos usually that makes people to continue look at the blog. E.g. for this particular blog, explaining poker by just text, might be boring imho :rolleyes:

11. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah Photos or pics are more convenient way of giving message that whole text because a photo can convey you the whole message just by at a glance of it, on the other hand it is some what cumbersome to read the whole text to get an idea of the message....!!!!
    As you can see in the cartoon corner of newspapers too!!!!