Domain Name

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by LogoItForward, Feb 21, 2011.

1. LogoItForward

LogoItForward
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm using a blog to eliminate the costs of web hosting and domain name. I reconstructed the html code of the blog to make it appear as a webpage instead. Is it worthwhile to purchase a domain name and redirect it to my blog to eliminate the 'blogspot' added onto the end of current blogsite address in my signature below. Would customer's care?

2. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I would also suggest hosting it yourself, you can get hosting for a small blog for less than 4$ a month.
    If that's to much and you can afford a domain, I'd definitely spend the 10$ to get your own domain name.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd agree with Brandon, owning your own domain name will make your service appear more professional and potential users will be more likely to trust you. There are some examples of people who run successful blogs that are not on their own domain name, e.g. Seth Godin has his on sethgodin.typepad.com. However, when people don't know you they will view you with more credibility if you have your own domain name.

4. jonathan10387

jonathan10387
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ya I'll too go with Brandon and Fregal. Having your own domain will provide you credibility over having just a blog. You can link the blog from your website and regular post on it. But it would be best if you go for your own domain with a good domain name that makes people trust on it.

5. LogoItForward

LogoItForward
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks everyone. I took your advise and signed up for a domain name.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the update LogoItForward and good luck with your site. You would be welcome to promote it in our Member Ads & Marketplace section and you might consider submitting it to our Site of the Day.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It seems I'm late for the party. :p
    Well, it's still better to have a custom domain name. I myself use the Blogger platform and almost 2 years ago, I purchased my very first domain name.

You can easily connect your Blogger and your new domain name.
    Here's a simple tutorial on how to do it from Google: http://www.google.com/support/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=55374
    It will take a day or two to get your domain linked on your Blogger blog.

Even if you are using your new domain name, it still can be accessed using your previous blogspot link.
    Hope it's doing fine for you.