Domain name for a business

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by sakaturu, Apr 11, 2010.

1. sakaturu

sakaturu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi There,
    I like to ask a question regarding Business domain name
    I just filed a corporation under " LA SOLAR SYSTEMS inc" and I want to get the name lasolarsystems.com and the person who own it wont sell it to me and he is not doing anything with it,, do I have legal right some how to get that name since I am doing under that name?
    Thanks
    Shawn

2. KipFXDesign

KipFXDesign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You have no legal right, but you should not worry too much, see this thread for more help on this subject http://www.businessadviceforum.com/showthread.php?t=9112

Hope it helps

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our business forum Shawn and thanks for asking your business questions.

Are you based in LA? Do you know where the owner of the domain is based, what state or country?

Have you applied for trademark protection for the LA SOLAR SYSTEMS brand?

In addition to the thread Kip pointed you to, you might find some of the domain name suggestion tools listed in the second post of our Useful Online Business Resources thread helpful.

4. mariyin4347

mariyin4347
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes I think you have the legal right to get a domain name that ..

5. KipFXDesign

KipFXDesign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Really, someone registers a domain before you form your company and its name? And you still have legal rights? Are you sure?

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

He don't have legal rights since the original owner is the one who originally registered that domain. He can still choose a different domain that's near his company name like:

la-solar-systems (COM,NET,ORG)
    la-solar (NET,ORG)
    lasolars (COM,NET,ORG)

7. Brain

Brain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No you don't have any rights. At the end of the day, the other person has purchased the domain. He has paid for the ownership now no matter what he does with it is none of our concern.

You can either make him an offer that compels him to sell it to you or go for some thing else.

8. sakaturu

sakaturu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes I am in LA "Los Angeles" and the domain owner is in New Jersey, not filed for trade mark,, should I? will it help to get the name back?

9. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Honestly I don't think this is a block worth getting worked up about.

Find a better solution.

Choose business area and the highest search term (many of these are still available)

so something like LASolarPanels or solar power or solutions, generators etc etc. Pick the best keyword search traffic and available domain name you can and you will dominate rankings.

Remember potential customers don't know your name, don't search for your name they search what you do so the top ranking search term match for your area will work. Almost none of my #1 ranked websites are in the business name they are things like concordrestaurant and drummoynemechanic, etc etc etc.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for posting back sakaturu, I've done a little research into this and the feedback I've received is that there really is very little you can do, if the domain owner does not want to sell the domain to you. The fact that the domain name contains words in common use - "LA SOLAR SYSTEMS" - makes it even more difficult to get control of it, through a trademark or otherwise. However, if you want to explore all possibilities it would be no harm to have a quick chat with a legal adviser.

Tecknowoman has given you some excellent suggestions and they would appear to be your best options.