Domain name conundrum

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by Sylvie66, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Sylvie66

Sylvie66
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I bought a domain name (flowcyte.com) as a test name for a portal idea that I presented to my company. I had bought the test name with my own money, and registered it privately, thinking to sell it if they didn't like the idea.

They bought the idea, and the final result looks great! (mycyte.org). They didn't want to use the original test name. The industry is small, and there is a company with a similarly-spelled name (flocyte.org).

I got sick, and my boss had the test domain routed to them (for about 2 weeks). I changed it back and offered to sell it to them for the price of 2 seminars, meaning that if only 2 people misspelled the name, they would make their money back. They didn't even negotiate, they just said they would wait until it came up for renewal and register it themselves.

Here's the question:
    Do I just let the registration lapse and eat crow? Or do I try to sell it to another company (acisflowcyte.com)? What would you do?

Thanks!

- Sylvie

PS Sorry, this is my first posting here, no links allowed...

2. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Let me be the first to welcome you to the Business Advice Forum Sylvie.

I like your website very much - http://mycyte.org. I think I'm also going to use the same layout as yours. Thanks for sharing your website with us.

By the way, how were they able to route the test domain to them if you were the one who bought it in the first place? Sometimes, selling and marketing is a waiting game. When shopping, people will pretend to go away and see the other shops hoping that you will lower your offer. I think it's the same for your case.

You have to help me out here because I don't know if your website is in demand or not. This is my first time hearing about embryonic stem cells and such. :) If the domain is in demand, then you're probably better off auctioning the site.

What I am sure of is that any domain that starts with a MY became very popular and in demand with the launch of myspace.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Sylvie and welcome to Business Advice Forum.

If the domain name that you own is one that could compete with your employer, you need to exercise some care as to how you handle the situation. Your employer will probably not be very impressed if you sell the domain to one of their competitors.

On the other hand if you just give the domain to your employer they may reward you for it. Obviously this will depend on your employer and we cannot know what they are like and how they will react to the situation.

What you do will also depend on your own circumstances, e.g. if you are planning on leaving your job in the near future, you will act differently than if you want to build a long term career with your present employer. One thing I would suggest is that you consider the long term and not just the immediate financial gain that you might make by selling the domain.

4. ritajones56

ritajones56
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Very good advice Fergal, I agree 100%. You need to think long-term first and if this put your job in jeopardy but you are not worried about that and have other plans to make money online, I say sell it to a competitor for as much as you could get and see what happens from there. Definitely think this over carefully though and weigh all of your options.