Domain name advice

Discussion in 'Making Money Online' started by Scarface_007, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi im thinking of starting my second forum on sports discussions (multi sports) can anyone suggest good domain thanks in advance.

2. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

3. Will Passmore

Will Passmore
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Drop the S I guess and do sportdiscussion.net

4. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If you want to maximize your ability to brand the website, then I recommend you stick to a domain name that uses a .com top level domain.

If you want to use SEO to help build up your traffic, then I would also recommend you do some research using the Google Keyword Tool to see which phrases are searched for the most that relate to sports forums or sports discussions. Then use that information to influence your decision.

You could settle for something really simple, keyword rich and memorable such as YourNameSportsForum.com. For instance, if it was mine, I might do something like TedsSportsForum.com.

Notice how Fergal has the domain name BusinessAdviceForum.com. That is a great domain name because it suggests exactly what the site is about, it has keywords in the name "business advice" and it also has a .com top level domain.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PS9

PS9
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm with TED, get a .com

If you want to make your life a bit easier, you can do what I did for my business. Go to gandi.net and search for something like "sport" (and make sure to click ALL extensions). I just did it and a few come up like sport.af - I then come up with something those two letters can mean, like "Advice Forum". Then market the forum/company as "Sport.AF". You end up with an easy to remember name, and SportAF.com is available.

Your visitors can then visit by simply typing the company name into the address bar, or they can add .com if they're used to it. I don't expect this to work in a few years time as more and more .com's are being bought, but for now it's a decent way to grab a short, memorable, .com with the "easter egg" of not having to type .com and still getting to your site.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for all the suggestions guys,, one more thing to follow on this is,,, would you guys advice me to be in mix sports forum or just specific one? im into cricket, football and athletics big time so mix would be ok? please advice thanks.

7. PS9

PS9
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do what you're interested in. Basically if you don't like something, hockey for example, you're not going to want to work as hard on it so don't include things you don't like. You can do a mixed forum, plenty of places do it. It's really up to you if you want to focus on one topic, and be amazingly good at that one topic, or focusing on more than one topic and more than likely being average for the lot.

Personally I'd focus on one thing and grow from there, but that's me. At some point later if you wanted to expand you could form "Scarface_007 Group Inc." and have multiple brands "Cricket Online", "Football Empire", and "Athletics Arena".

8. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks ps9 great advice yes im thinking of multi sports as it may bring vast majority of people rather then just one but to be honest if i have to pick between cricket, football and athletics,,, I would choose cricket as my main priority. I love cricket personally im just thinking would it be good to have purely on cricket.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

There is a lot to be said for picking a very specific topic / niche for your forum. If you start a general sports forum it will be very difficult to be better than the existing large popular sports forum. However, if you pick a very specific niche, that is currently not being served very well, you could be the best forum for that topic and then grow from there.

10. angrystone

angrystone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

See if you can get an aged domain from a broker. then if it can have a main keyword like "sports" as part of it, that's good. No Hypens. And rhymes and alliteration are quite good too for branding.

11. Bharat Book

Bharat Book
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it is always beneficial, if you got the old or aged domain. search engine gives preferences to the old one instantly rather than the newer. And there you got extra benefits that you will have to work less for domain reputation.

12. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks angry and 3b but to be honest they are very expensive and I'm newbie to forums so I spend as less as possible i know the work is more but its something that has to be done. And I'm trying everything possible to get my forum up and running. Rest depends on luck!

13. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi everyone thanks for the suggestions i finally managed to grab the domain. Sportstopic.net what do you guys think of this domain?... My forum is multile sports forum this domain would be suitable or not thanks in advance.

14. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I still think a .com tld domain would be good because .com is very popular and widely used and known. Most of the people can use mistakenly use your .net domain with .com and land into other site. So, you have to be careful about that too.

Sportstopic.net seems little lousy to me. Search for 2 words .com sport related domain.

15. 1paket.com

1paket.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

.com is better to have.

16. Scarface_007

Scarface_007
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

.com of this domain costs £17000 i havent got that much money specially for domain. so had to stick with .net

17. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You bought it already? the .net one? I meant another .com domain name relating to sports.

18. jiashia

jiashia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

$99
    bidmybody.com
    boxingtalent.com
    stuntgarage.com

Buy link

sedo.co.uk/search/details.php4?domain=boxingtalent.com