domain extension

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by homenetmoney21, Jul 26, 2013.

1. homenetmoney21

homenetmoney21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

which domain extensions is best for global purpose

2. kenzo

kenzo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's quite obvious that .com is ;P Just observe which extension you guess when you forget the full address ;)

3. saahil

saahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

.com is the generic and best extension considered for global play

4. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Depends on the kind of site you have. But .com is preferred in general.

5. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Domain extension .com comes first which is global and mostly used, domain extensions like .net and .org can be used if it's network or organization respectively.

6. Multima$tery

Multima$tery
    uix_expand uix_collapse

.com is the primary choice for Global domain name recognition. With most people, .com is so heavily imbedded into their brain that they just assume that when they type a web address into their browser.

7. cathysmith

cathysmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

.com represents the word "commercial," and is the most widely used extension in the world. Most businesses prefer a .com domain name because it is a highly recognized symbol for having a business presence on the Internet.

8. sudhakar1

sudhakar1
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes!,
    its Domain extension
    .net-network,
    .in-information,
    .com-commercial,
    .org-organization,
    .coop-cooperatives,
    .edu-educational,
    .gov-governmental.

9. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Here is my personal opinion on domain extensions:

First tier:

.com is the best for business, by all means
    .edu is best for an educational institution (much better than a .com for branding a school)
    .org is ok for a charity, social organization or industry trade asociation but not nearly as good for a business. It sends mixed signals.
    .gov is fine for a government

Second tier:

.net is clearly not as good for a business' branding as .com but it is the 'best of the rest'

Third tier:

.biz has some acceptance but clearly is inferior for branding purposes to .com or .net

The rest:

.info should have been a good extension for information-type websites but because it was the least expensive domain extension available, its reputation suffered as spammer and made-for-adsense internet marketers bought and churned tens of thousands of .info domains. A business using .info will have a huge burden to overcome
    .mobi was supposed to really take off, with more internet access being through mobile devices than through desktops. However, with responsive design, apps and various other solutions, I don't see any great future for this domain extension
    .pro was supposed to be for professionals. I don't think I have ever actually visited a .pro website. Ever. Enough said.
    Country codes (two letter domains) are general not great for branding outside the country for which they are issued UNLESS they are used as a domain hack in a very particular name for branding purposes (examples love.me, search4.it, latenight.tv) I would especially avoid .ws which I feel was over-hyped as an abbreviation for "website" (it is actually the country code for Samoa and stands for Western Samoa). Unless you specifically want to make a point that you are from a particular country like China (.cn), India (.in) or Russia (.ru) for marketing purposes, country codes are exactly the opposite of how you would want to brand yourself in a global marketplace.

• Like Like x 1