Domain Effect on SEO.

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by angelajason06, Feb 17, 2013.

1. angelajason06

angelajason06
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi All,

I want to ask that is there any Effect on SEO or Search ranking of .com, .org or .net in domain name???
    I always heard that .com domain is Good, But if .com is not available then can we register .net or .org with out any worry???

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

My preference is also for dot com domains as they are the most popular domains and they are the domains that the majority of people associate with websites. When someone hears the name of a website, they are more likely to type the dot com extension into their browser, when looking for that website.

Google has said, that the actual extension on a domain doesn't affect how they rank that domain in their search engine results. The exception being some free domain extensions, which they consider to be spammy.

• Like Like x 1
  3. borgninestallone

borgninestallone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes i agree with you. I advise you to go with .com domain registration. If you need to target in region wise you can pick the region wise domain for registration. If you want your site to get rank globally means, you can go for .com domain registration.

4. BacklinksInc

BacklinksInc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

for branding I think .com is best, but its a valuable enough keyword id use anything I can get.

5. venumssi

venumssi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Search engine give main preference to .gov , .nic, . edu websites first than almost all other websites are consider as same. The target keyword in the domain name also effects seo rank. but give main preference to content submission in your websites not domain extension.

6. angelajason06

angelajason06
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Actually i want to register an EMD. that Exist at the top of Google by specific keyword for a long time. Isn't a idea that i register an emd (Exact Match Domain) and accocciate my service website with that.. ??

7. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

EMDs are no longer as influential as they once were, so registering an EMD and re-directing it to your website in order to increase your website's ranking for that keyword is not going to give you the result you want. Some would say that an EMD on a quality website will get ranked, but any quality website, even without an EMD, can get ranked - associating an EMD to it won't make any difference. If a website is NOT a quality website, associating an EMD to it also will not make any difference.

• Like Like x 1
  8. spyindiashiv

spyindiashiv
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As was said previously, domain name still effect on SEO. The more simple and descriptive is the name of your domain- the higher the chance it will be found by a certain search request.

9. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I second Joeroxx. Domain is no longer effective to SEO, regardless EMD, PMD, or domain age.

• Like Like x 1
  10. brandy

brandy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Search engines especially Google keeps on changing its algorithms. There are many factors that the search engine considers in raking websites such as the keywords, the number of backlinks a website has, the quality of content a website has etc. Therefore I don’t think if google considers .com, .net or .org in determining the ranking of a website.

11. partho

partho
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't thing domain will effect on your site if you do a good SEO and your site.And your site is popular.Then there will be no need of any kind of special domain

12. simojohn258

simojohn258
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In seo domain does not matter. Matter is how much your website have back links and how much your website authority in google.

13. saahil

saahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Google is now considering a strong action against EMD (Exact Match domains)
    However, what i feel is if a keyword is present in domain and is legitimate one - you may not get hurt
    For example - if you are in automobiles used car business - a domain like shamancars.com - will have keyword cars or if you are in foregin consultancy business then rohitconsultancy - it may not be bad for your site ranking well plus better click from users too

14. Business Attorney

Business Attorney
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Gettting back to the OP's first question, I don't think that Google or other search engines will reward a website for having a .com URL or penalize a website for having a .net or .org URL. I would be more worried about getting a good brandable URL that is easy to remember for returning users. For example, I would generally choose a two-word .net over a four or five word .com, particularly now that Google has virtually eliminated any SEO value in an exact match domain name.

• Like Like x 1