Doing Business in Other States

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by arlener, Jun 21, 2010.

1. arlener

arlener
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am starting a weight-loss support group and the group leaders will be Independent Contractors, paid a percentage of what their members pay in.
    Everyone should not pay their leaders but they should send check or m.o. to my PO Box.
    If I am a sole proprietor and I want to do business all around the country, do I have to register my business name in all the states and how much will it cost?
    Same question if I incorporate.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

arlener have you tried contacing your local IRS office? You can get their contact details here.

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Check out this government site at http://www.business.gov/register/incorporation/

If you scroll down the page you'll see the links for every individual state.

4. myusacorporation

myusacorporation
    uix_expand uix_collapse

arlener,

Technically, you don't need to register a DBA in all states. You can do business in other states under the name you have registered in one state, as long as you don't have "significant presence" in those other states (of course the term itself is debatable, but judging by your activity I would say its safe).

I would recommend to register an LLC for your business, to reduce liability among other things, and pursue your business under that entity. If your business grows and you feel that you need to establish legal presence in some other states you will be able to go through a process called Foreign Qualification – in essence creating a Foreign Entity for you LLC in that other state.

You can read more about that on our site: Forming Foreign Entity.

Hope that helps