Does your link's position on a page matter that much?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Kay, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I just read this article about linkbuilding and one of the things it said is that having a link "high up in the body of the page will go a long way." I've not heard that before. Anyone know anything about this?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Any content that is above the fold, will be seen more than content below the fold. So yes, I would definitely agree that it is better to have your link shown higher up in any web page.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do agree with it. Anything that a visitor see on the top fold whenever he/she visits a site will gauge interest on him/her. It includes link and advertisement banners.

4. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A couple of the google patent applications touch on this, one recent one in particular covers a lot of (potential - just because it's in a patent doesn't mean it has been or ever will be used) information on it, which will give you an idea of how the SE's look at it. If you're the type who likes to get down and dirty with the technical side of things feel free to view the above link, but assuming you're not...

(For anyone who enjoys keeping an eye on the patent end of things, I can highly recommend Bill Slawski's blog SEO by the Sea which covers and reviews applications amazingly well)

There's a few comments in the original blog I'd take exception to ("A link that says “click here” isn’t going to help you rank" - the type of misinformation which is all too common on SEO blogs/forums/sites and shows the care that needs to be taken when taking 3rd party advice - a link lacking relevant anchor text will still help in various other areas relating to SERPs [but obviously it's not ideal]), but most relate to semantics and stating things in a slightly incorrect manner while the general theory is correct.

In terms of a 'guide' on links, this post by Rand over on seomoz is up there with the best of them. It's a touch on the old side now (given many changes, particularly post mayday, some of the less/more important factors from last year have shifted slightly), but the general points are still 100% on the money and give a great overview of the type of factors to consider. It doesn't specifically comment on above/below the fold (this is something SE's always tend to avoid as it's a relative evaluation depending on the specific setup of the user) when discussing 'location', but given the fact that having a link higher up the page will have a definite impact on CTR due to user reaction to it... it's a good thing to aim for regardless of SEO.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks very much, Paul. Some aspects of SEO (okay, lots of them!) are a bit of a mystery to me, so I tend to believe most of what I read about it. The hardest thing is keeping up to speed with SEO and knowing what's still valid. Every time I think I've learned something, I feel like they move the goalposts and I'm back to square one. I've bookmarked Rand's post for further reading. Cheers for that. :)

I appreciate you setting the record straight there on the "click here" part. Which reminds me, I do have a question about anchor text. I've noticed that many articles I get submitted now have anchor text that reflects their site url minus the http://www, rather than just their site name. For example for mine I would use "The Cuckleburr Times", but the trend seems to be that I should use "cuckleburr.com" instead. Does that matter at all or is it just personal preference?

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Excellent links Paul, I've also bookmarked them.

The important thing is to be consistent, i.e. use wither the version without the www or the version with it. You can also redirect one of them to the other, e.g. redirect cuckleburr.com to www.cuckleburr.com or vice versa.

7. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

While Fergal's comment is an important factor to be aware of, I'm not sure it answers Kay's question.

I assume Kay means that while the link is the same, "http://www.mysite.com/", it's the use of the anchor text which is shifting, from "Exact Keyword Phrase" or "Site Name" to "mysite.com" (e.g. <a href="http://www.mysite.com/">mysite.com</a>). Or perhaps I've misunderstood?

If that was the point, you're 100% on the money with a trend in linking.

For years, the high weighting of exact match anchor text had lead to a lot of gaming of SERPs (think of all the stories you've seen of "stupid clown"or the likes pointing to a politicians home page as an example of how it could be used). To combat this, there has been a move by SE's (or more specifically google) to devalue the benefits of the exact match keywords and unnatural looking anchor text profiles (or at least to devalue it where it's 'over optimised' and no longer looks like a natural link profile). I think the real issue is to ensure you have a natural link profile (so comprising of some keyword anchors, some brand anchors, some 'blank' anchors [the 'click here' ones], etc.), rather than a "build xxxxx anchors".

There are a huge number of interesting articles looking at this (and the popularity of this is one of the reasons you can see a shift in behaviour at your site), this and this do a good job at highlighting some of the concerns and giving some rough stats to back up their thoughts on the importance of 'brand' links.

8. VVhite_Angel

VVhite_Angel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have already read that we read in F our screens.

But i think that the position depends on the graphic style of the page, using colors and contrasts. Text disposition helps too i think.

Using bold, italic or other styles is important too to easy view a link and click.

Well it's not easy :)

9. janecristy

janecristy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Good Links are very useful for business and information

Links are of two types
    1. Internal Links-These links are useful to navigate the web site pages. These links are helpful and user-friendly as well. Usually these links are made to get more information about the topic. These save our time to read pages.
    2. Outside links-These links are placed on the web page which usually open new web sites to read more information about the topic as well as new topics of knowledge & business. Many Industries, Factories, Services, Agencies, Companies, Offices, Malls, Markets, Hotels, Financial agencies, Banks, Educational institutes, Hospitals, Health Centers, Clubs, Sports, Music and Media, Religious institutes, Human welfare agencies and many many more depends on each other via Links of each other on their sites. This is very useful to have best links to make progress fast locally as well as globally. Each good link represents a good relationship for our good future. These save our time to have good relation around us positively :wave:

#9 janecristy, Oct 22, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  10. kevinmeaney

kevinmeaney
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that normally updated content isn’t quite as important a factor as other elements of SEO.

11. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just spotted this now....

It all depends on the query.

SE's try to determine the 'intent' of the searcher and, depending on the specific query they use, different algorithms will be used. If a SE believes that it's a QDF query (QDF = query deserves freshness) then the age of the content is an important factor and fresh content will gain a significant boost over 'aged' content. If you're a relatively new site competing against many highly authoritative and trusted sites, competing on QDF queries helps level the playing field and can give them a fighting chance.

12. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, like what Paul said, how can you rank higher than sites with updated content?