Does Very Old Content Is Still Effective.?

Discussion in 'Content Marketing' started by borgninestallone, Mar 5, 2013.

1. borgninestallone

borgninestallone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The content in my site's home page very old. I have not changed and it has been the same for past 2 years. I was ranking very well for one of the keyword. My site will be in 3rd position. But after the recent panda update, my site's ranking went back to 2nd page and now it is in 9th position. Every time i check its position changes.

Do i need to change my site's home page content because of the algorithm change. But my site does not have copied content. Help me in retaining my site's keyword to original position.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

My experience is that Google values content that is current and updated regularly. That's one of the reasons why blogs can do very well in Google's rankings. Have you given some thought to how you could add new content to your site and how that content would be of interest to your visitors? Would it be appropriate to add a blog to your site?

3. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Search engines like fresh and unique content. And when your website content is contemporary the visitor also likes and it helps in influencing the buyers decision as well. Visitors are also attracted to new and quality content and information so you should work on adding new content to the site and keep adding to it regularly.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cupid

cupid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No - Old content are not working anymore, only fresh contents are ranking well.

5. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In my personal experience old content works very well still to this day, but it depends on the query that the searcher uses.

For some queries, new information is better. For other queries, the age of the information is irrelevant.

Google has admitted this. It is my understanding that they apply the freshness factor on a case by case basis depending on the query.

For example - if someone searches for a phrase and adds the year "2013" to the end of the query, then that is the type of query where Google would think that newer is probably better. Something like - "hot stocks right now" would probably be a query that deserves freshness ranking adjustments. Obviously if someone is looking for anything news related or time sensitive, then fresher is probably better.

However, if some searches for - "How to make a Toga out of a bed sheet" - it really doesn't matter whether the content is fresh or ten years old.

Those may not be the best examples to make my point with, but I hope you get the drift.

The "freshness ranking factor" is way overrated in my opinion (and in my own personal experience) except in the right situations such as news related or trend related queries.

@borgninestallone - I highly doubt that the age of the content on your homepage had anything to do with your loss in rankings. More likely it was something else about your site or about your inbound link profile that caused Google to shift its rankings. Maybe you recently lost some inbound links that you had or maybe there was some on-site factor that Google decided it doesn't like for some reason. But, I highly doubt it has anything to do with the age of your homepage content.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Picture

Picture
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I believe there could be a few factors here - if the content is old it doesn't mean it will be penalized, but if the rest of the site is stagnant it may do. Also, backlinks may come into play. If those you are competing against have more relevant backlinks and regularly updated content this may explain the drop.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Something else to remember is that some people will use "Search Tools" to select a time period when doing a Google search. This allows searchers to search for content from "Any Time", "Past Hour", "Past 24 Hours", "Past Week", etc. Screenshot.

I use "Search Tools" quite a lot myself, when I have a preference for more current content and if the content on your site is old, it will not appear in those search results.

• Like Like x 1
  8. maxwebinc

maxwebinc
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Backing up Ted's answer, It will depend on how useful a content is. Try visit toprankonlinemarketing.com. I believe that site is not updated (homepage) for a long period of time. But they are actually ranking well.

Query Deserves Freshness gives some exceptions at some point. Contents that are not required to be updated but provide good information stays on top. It depends on how often these kinds of contents are searched, how often they are clicked, and how often they are shared.

So old contents is not useless. It will still depend on the quality. Let me give you this good example:

100 ways to conserve water

That article is not updated for a really long time. It's PR6 and actually getting natural link backs from different root domains until now.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ramiszaro

ramiszaro
    uix_expand uix_collapse

old will be effective if it is relevancy but only thing you have to do is freshness in content google likes fresh so go ahead with fresh content.

10. rises5544

rises5544
    uix_expand uix_collapse

According to my theory Google prefer updating sites regarding static sites, just add unique posts regular basis and link back to your old post.

11. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fresh contents with crappy information are useless. Google is smart enough to determine the quality of a certain content of a site regardless of what type of content they are (video, article, image, etc.) Old content still work great depending on the information.

As long as your post is not helpful for users, that will be like those crappy ones across the web and will not get any benefit from Google.

12. Beth

Beth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally I don't feel that Old contents are still fruitful, their are actually of no use and wastage of time, effort and money. In short, is a blunder. With the changing time, demand of the customers and the advancement in the market, people get more attracted towards new, innovative and fresh contents rather than going through old contents.So, go for quality and great contents. It really works.

13. semaphore.v

semaphore.v
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Content plays the most important role to rank a website.Fresh and quality content with rich keywords are helpful to increase the page rank.

14. dsmith

dsmith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, Google love fresh, unique and quality content. Content is most important for website ranking.

15. rises5544

rises5544
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I against mostly people, what do mean by Google love only fresh content? What about older content? Google also love your older post if your post gets regularly updates either by comments or any other discussion. Your older post get rank first on google relates to your fresh post.

16. Ted

Ted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think Matt Cutts does an excellent job of explaining how freshness is looked at in this video. This should clear up any questions you have about it.

[video=youtube;o4hH4ZQ_19k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4hH4ZQ_19k[/video]

• Like Like x 1
  17. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There are some Old content or articles that are still searched in Internet. So, those old contents can be handy. Don't put stuffs that are too old and which have been updated. Put contents that people will be interesting in.

18. spyindiaa

spyindiaa
    uix_expand uix_collapse

the important thing in the content is that the content are not copied from any where and display a good quality information to user ... yes the rank of page may be change according to the change in the algorithm of search engine.... u should have update ur content accordingly ....

19. borgninestallone

borgninestallone
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with you. But my competitors site not update and still i could see their site rankings in top of search engines. I have been keenly watching their changes in the site. How do they achieve the ranking.?

20. Beth

Beth
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Great effort Ted, thank a lot Ted for sharing this video with us. When it comes to Matt Cutts,hatts off to him.