Does sending invoice need government registration?

Discussion in 'Legal and HR' started by jhonstwewart, Jun 18, 2010.

1. jhonstwewart

jhonstwewart
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi guys,

I am a novice as far as Internet business is concerned. I belong to Australia. I recently got an offer from an advertiser asking me to put up his site links on my site for a period of 8 months. I am not very sure about the offer. I am not completely convinced. He even told me that he will pay me in advance. However, I am still skeptical about it. This guy is not from Australia. He has also asked me for an invoice. Do you think I require government registration to do the needful? Please help!

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

jhonstwewart if your client is prepared to pay you up front for the advertising, it doesn't sound as if you have much to worry about in terms of getting paid. If there isn't a very large amount of money involved you probably don't need to be overly concerned regarding government registration. One thing you could do is contact your local tax office and outline your position to them. Ask them what you need to do in order to register your business. I don't know what the business entities are in Australia, but in Ireland it is very easy and cheap to register as a sole trader. There is most probably something similar in Australia.

3. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Just take the money and be happy with it. Be careful if he asks for money as an arrangement fee though. It could be a scam.

4. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not necessary if you are not using the company name to deal with your client. I'm part time freelancer who work for some SEO company, they always request me to send invoice due to they need for their account report. In this case, i always use the Paypal to send the invoice. Some of the will provide the invoice and ask me to fill in.

5. pwsolutions

pwsolutions
    uix_expand uix_collapse

not at all. just get the money and gimme 20% of total amount.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Why do you say that, are you aware of scams based around arrangement fees?