Does selling accessories and not the actual product a good idea?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by AverageJoe, Jan 29, 2010.

1. AverageJoe

AverageJoe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Instead of selling cell phones and mp3 players, how about selling accessories for them? Is this a good idea? Does anyone else do it?

2. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Heya. Yeah I currently sell iphone, itouch and apple accessories and it is quite a profitable business if you know the right contacts mind.

1) Research into products that sell and try and get the best possible price from suppliers in order to maximise profit for you.

2) Try and offer free p&p if possible, as it will be more likely people will buy the items from you.

3) A range of products must be sold, done stick with just one, expand your mind but ofcourse do not get stupid products that may not sell as easily. Eg: ipod shuffle 1st model cases. ;)

Anymore help required, im your man :D

3. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's actually a good business as said.

People look for accessories of different items like mp3/mp4players, iphones etc. The tend of more seek-over is due to demands that people prefer to have accessories rather than only having items. Therefore, it will quite worth business if you're planning to start with.

I wish you all the best for your business in near future if you've any thoughts of implementing.

4. stevebarnard

stevebarnard
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Average Joe,
    Why don’t you sell mp3 players, cell phones with accessories? It would be very profitable business. May be you have some investment problem. IMO, you should seek an interested person involve in selling cell phones and mp3 players and could easily merge with your accessories business. It will catch more people and give more profit to both of you.
    For seeking the interested persons, my signature may be very helpful for you.

5. jaguar2

jaguar2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hiii,

Definitely its a good idea to sell accessories for cell phones rather to sell cells itself. Well people are likely to buy those accessories mostly. So go ahead with this.

Thanks

#5 jaguar2, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2010
  6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

When buying something like an iPod I prefer to buy it from a known high street store. This gives me the reassurance that I can return it if there is a problem with it in the future. However, I'm much happy to buy lower cost items and accessories from eBay and other online store. This comfort factor might also help you.

7. AverageJoe

AverageJoe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm seriously thinking about going ahead with this (when I get the money) but I'm still afraid of competition.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Why are you afraid of them?

Offer a better service and value to your customers and your competitors will be afraid of you. You will be a new entrant in the market, that will be taking away some of their market share, they will be afraid of you and there is no need for you to be afraid of them.

Don't let fear cloud your judgement. Ask yourself what is the worst that can happen and then put your best foot forward.

9. Ryan86

Ryan86
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Remember to keep your main goal in mind, and dont let any fear change what you really want.

10. bistones

bistones
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It`s a good business. You can try to know what`s the most popular cell phones and mp3 players in the market, and then sell their accessories to customers. And some Ornaments for them.

11. Adam

Adam
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Its not an antique business lmao. :cool:

12. kittelsoncarpo

kittelsoncarpo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah that is a good idea. People like to buy accessories on their gadget that are low prices compare to malls. And also you can find your market online believe me.

13. haiwin

haiwin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

good, accessories for cell phones and MP3 are hot products on ebay

14. Nathan

Nathan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What about selling both? Accessories are good as a lot of people need them, but if you were to sell all the products in one place, that should increase your revenue ;)