Does Quality Content Just Encourage Information Whores?

Discussion in 'Content Marketing' started by reynoldcastellino, May 18, 2010.

  1. reynoldcastellino

    reynoldcastellino
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    New Member

    Joined:
    May 12, 2010
    Messages:
    14
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm wondering about the usefulness of the SEO mantra, "Write quality content." While this encourages people to your site, does it encourage them to do business with you? Might it even have a negative consequence?

    For instance, Tons of great information for small businesses, lots of great advice on gaining SEO rank, link promotion, and how to promote your small business on the net. I've gone through his articles, and I read his email newsletter every week. While his advice has been beneficial to me, I've never encountered any proposition by Wilson Web that's so compelling, enticing me into a purchase.

    I can imagine this scenario repeated ten of thousands of times each day, in ten of thousands of different ways. When the quality content is constructed, prospects then consume it, are fully satisfied, and then never conduct further business with your website.

    I'm wondering if anyone else has a sense of this notion? Does composing quality content just result in a bunch of low quality prospects who only want to pick your brain and never write you a check in return?
     
    #1 reynoldcastellino, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. Fergal

    Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2007
    Messages:
    10,578
    Likes Received:
    1,163
    I've seen someone write about what they called the "Bikini Principle". Their view was that if you reveal and give away 90% of your quality information for free, there will be a small proportion of your readers who will pay to get access to the remaining 10%. This is the way many of these quality content providers operate their business.

    The content helps them rank in the search engines and it encourages the people that find their sites, to make repeat visits and to sign up to their mailing lists. Some of these people will pay for extra / premium content and this is how the website makes their money.
     
  3. Tecknowoman

    Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2009
    Messages:
    236
    Likes Received:
    1
    It is important when you start that your research focuses on "buying" keywords, rather than free seeker search terms.

    When you write quality content the idea is not to give everything you know away but to give enough to hook people into buying from you.

    There is a need to hook into the law of reciprocity also in which you leverage the fact that free content of value creates a feeling that I "owe" you something in return (common human feelings)

    Most I know that provide great content don't give anyone a reason to buy because they've given everything away or never actually make a pitch to ask you to buy anything.

    One great strategy is to mix pitches between offerings of great content.
     
  4. DeniseTaylor

    DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    Messages:
    198
    Likes Received:
    39
    Tecknowoman,

    You took the words right out of my mouth. But I think I can still add a couple of things.

    I agree about searcher intent (which you call buyer keywords). The more commercially viable a keyword is, the more valuable they are. But they are often rife with competitors vying for the same keyword.

    There is a strategy for the other keywords that can help with the competitive aspect, especially those of a "long tail" variety. Keywords that are not competitive make great ways for new visitors to find your site. The more correctly used keywords, the more invitations for traffic from the search engines.

    Written in the proper voice, those pages can make people feel like they know you. This leads to trust. Openly engaging with your visitors through a Q & A or answering emails and publishing them, fosters relationships.

    Then when you present your service, people will use you. It takes time, doesn't happen over night, but gradually you will start converting. So Tecknowoman is spot on.

    Content builds traffic, but you have to use the content to sell your service in a way that makes people know and like you, too.
     

Share This Page