Does listening to the news get you down?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, May 14, 2009.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've always felt it was important to listen to the news and keep abreast of business and current affairs. But when I turned on the radio today to hear more bad news about jobs and the economy, I just felt that I'd had enough. It never seems to end and it can get you down after a while.

What do you think, is it vitally important to know what is going on in the world or is it time to say we've had enough and stop listening to doom and gloom?

2. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, there are some news that gets us down. Media/News get negative news more than positive news that usually makes us down. We hear more bad news than good news. There are more downturn News.

I think we should listen to the news. We should be aware of the fact that what's going on and what is going wrong. We should face the truth.

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd love to start a "No News Day" - a day when people turn the news off and make an effort to be happy and pleasant about everything.

Any one with me?

4. flashgordonweb

flashgordonweb
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not on any immediate level, but hearing about corruption, death, war, disease, etc. (the news is always negative) seems to put me in a general cynical nature. However, when I stay in the country and do not read or hear about any news, I'm generally in a more optimistic and positive mood.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Me, I'll join you in that Fergal. :) I get very tired of bad news, especially when I'm feeling unwell and/or stressed. I was just thinking this morning how people were smarter than us in previous generations, designating Sunday a day of rest. We need a day to just think about nothing and to simply enjoy the day and each other.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

There has been a lot of discussion in Ireland recently about how the media appear to be hell bent on publishing the bad news and ignoring some of the good news. As an example one credit agency (Standard and Poors) reduced Ireland's credit rating, while around the same time Fitch improved Ireland's credit rating. The Standard and Poors' reduction got huge media attention, yet the Fitch upgrade was barely mentioned in the media.

A report that said 62% of Irish companies would not be recruiting within the next year also got huge media attention. The media failed to mention that this meant that 38% of companies would be recruiting within the next year, which is actually great news.

Highlighting negative stories in this way, while ignoring positive aspects doesn't do much to cheer you up or lift your spirits in these times.

7. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think ignoring the environment & being ignorant about environment, your workplace conditions or situation in your country just because they are not pleasure to hear is not a good practice since every thing has pros & cons..Its as same the way one can say the glass is half empty or half full & neglecting the remaining truth which tells us that glass is half full or half empty..
    Hope I have made my point clear..!!!!

8. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Being quite frank, I don't like listening News especially politics one. It's good to be aware of the fact but as Fergal said I agree with him.

We should rather focus on our work than news. We should progress on our work and help the nation.

9. kingmurtaza196

kingmurtaza196
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice topic.

I am with u regarding "No News Day". I try to avoid news channel as it have always got something bad to discuss.. we should always try be happy & make other happy.

We have to face the truth too. Terrorism , world economy & poverty are some really bitter truths which couldn't be ignored.

10. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some people would just turn off the radio or TV, or change the channel when they see bad news especially about the current global financial crisis. For most people, I think that this would be a good idea especially if they don't want to feel all gloomy throughout the day. Having a break from all the bad news is definitely a good idea.

11. kingmurtaza196

kingmurtaza196
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nazreen, sorry If U get rude. It is a nice idea to avoid bad news but we'll have to face the truth regarding terrorism, world economy, & poverty.

12. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Exactly, this is also what I feels that instead trying avoiding the TRUTH faced it Boldly,,You can not ignore your surroundings..It will affect you one day too & that too at a sudden instant of time without giving you any chance to prepare yourself to avoid it...
    However if you want a change for sometime, you can avoid it to some extent..BUt totally avoiding it is not a good idea either..!!

13. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think scifi is right. We should face the truth rather than ignoring it.

14. kingmurtaza196

kingmurtaza196
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So, we have got the answer ! Listening to the news gets one down so he can avoid the news for some time for a change but we can not avoid the truth. We have to face it boldly .

15. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, I don't think that you're being rude in any way Kingmurtaza196. Anyway, I'm also saying the same thing as you are saying. I didn't say that we should avoid bad news altogether but it's a nice thing to have a break from all these doom and gloom once in a while.

16. videe

videe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'll go with no news. I'd prefer to do something I like or love rather than watching the news and get stressed after that. If the "news" is really important, I'll know sooner or later from people around me. So, nothing to lose with "no news day" except watching the news is something you love to do and you like to discuss event or everything that going on in the world then I'll say go with it :)

17. kingmurtaza196

kingmurtaza196
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Welcome to BAF videe.

You have got a good idea! One could watch a Cricket OR football match rather than watching BAD news & one gets to know the news sooner OR later but the people around him so it is not possible that we sit around ignoring all the bad news!

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum Videe. Hearing the news through conversation with others, is much more interesting than hearing it on the TV.

Your view reminds me of a book I read, where the author (Tim Ferris) said that people waste too much time listening to news and reading newspapers and this results in information overload. His opinion was the same as yours, that it is much better to get the news by speaking to other people.

19. kingmurtaza196

kingmurtaza196
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, when one hear a news from a person around him is better then the news heard OR watched on television ! One can express & share his views with the person around him !

20. Sahil

Sahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Some news actually breaks your heart,but there is an advice do not make watching news your first thing in daily schedule.And always keep it in mind that if the whole world is having a loss it is not necessary that you will face the same.