Does giving backlinks to other sites also increase your rank?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by manishsqrt, May 7, 2015.

1. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have read some where that giving backlinks to other sites also increases your search rank in google, is this true, i am asking because i have read it on some reputed website probably mtu.edu, although i didn't understood the idea, but it was trying to say that it happens so because this makes your site more linkable and informative, what ever information people cannot get on your site they can get on the page you are linking to so this increases informative value of your site as well along with the value of the linked site.Do any one of you have any similar experience?

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Just to make sure we understand you correctly, are you asking if allowing other websites to link to their site from yours increases your search rank? I have been involved in SEO for eight years and have never heard this. To me it doesn't make sense - why would allowing visitors to leave your site increase the ranking of yours? I went to mtu.edu, and can't find anywhere where this information would be found. Can you tell us exactly where you found it, so we can determine who wrote it, and how it's supposed to work?

3. VinnyP

VinnyP
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I too have heard the same but what I have heard is linking to relevent websites in the exact same niche can help with rankings. But how much it actually helps is another question. And I've only heard it from others not from Google so not 100%.

4. nldisplays

nldisplays
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Search engines create page rankings by taking into account how many outside links will lead people to your site. With proper usage Pinterest can create many of these useful links.

5. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi joeroxx just search on google with 'how to increase rank' and read point number 4, for your convenience i am posting this link of the mtu site read point number 4.Please also explain that to me http://www.mtu.edu/umc/services/web/seo/

6. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

The source you mentioned has no author name, nor does it specify when the article was written. The website has existed since 1997, and there have been several changes to the search engines, and to SEO, since then. For example, we now know that "click here" links contribute to a diversified link profile, so can help SEO. You should also keep in mind that taking only one concept out of context can lead to making mistakes. "Relevant links within the text" can refer to articles written about the subject of the web page that is is being linked to in the article, and can also refer to other pages within the same website.

7. ConvertiVid

ConvertiVid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So, do you mean this is an outdated SEO technique then? Furthermore, this doesn't answer manishqrt's question. I, too, would want to know whether this is true or not for this is the first time I have heard of it.

8. Priyanka Sharma

Priyanka Sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

no its not true if you gives back link to your site if site PR is higher than you then chance to be get some profit or link juice divert to your website if some low quality website linked with you its not good for your website and if you place some other website link on your website always do them on footer or sidebar never put in main body content

9. danielnash

danielnash
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes, it may be beneficial if u give references for other site, and these references links must be use as a source of information not as a spam or cloaking.

10. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Your statement has the same problem as manishsqrt's original post. What is the rationale for using this technique, and what authoritative source can you cite to support your statement? As VinnyP mentioned, he has heard it, but not from an authoritative source, so how much does it really help?