Does being Male effect opening certain businesses?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by fivestarpacheco, May 28, 2015.

1. fivestarpacheco

fivestarpacheco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi guys, I'm looking to start an errand service mainly toward seniors. There is not one errand service within 100 miles of my area. I feel that it would be a good business to start. Only thing is I'm a guy, and I'm not sure if certain people would feel comfortable with that. Would a women have a better chance at getting work?

2. tsubibo

tsubibo
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Maybe, I have noticed that when it is a service based business. It is sometimes better that a woman do whatever the service that you would be providing is. People just feel more at ease when they are talking to woman instead of a guy.

3. manishsqrt

manishsqrt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have never heard anything like that, but people may have different opinion.What i believe if you are in any business you should try whatever you can afford and is not bad for your business.Even if it is not good.

4. fivestarpacheco

fivestarpacheco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yea I figured they would be more comfortable talking to women. I guess I won't give up and try it out anyway!

5. tsubibo

tsubibo
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

You can maybe hire a woman for some other stuff on a trial basis. See who gets more clients.

6. navarromarillou

navarromarillou
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with tsubibo, in this generation more on our client would like to talk to women, they feel comfortable with them, so you can hire women who know the nature of business and good in talking.

7. Damien Lee

Damien Lee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Women seem to do better in a services orientated business. Generally, women are more approachable and adept in social environments than most men are. That doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue such a business if that's what you want to do. If you're a sociable guy and others don't find you physically intimidating there shouldn't be a problem. However, if that's not the case perhaps it would be better to look into another industry. Men tend to do very well in technical industries such as engineering.

8. Corzhens

Corzhens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You have a point when it comes to gender because I believe in the separation of gender. In my area, there are tasks that need males like the installing of computer units in a branch office. A female will have difficulty in carrying the equipment. We would need to hire laborers to do that job. But a male employee can do both things - carry the equipment, assemble, test if running. That simple. A male is an advantage in that department.

9. m0n2k

m0n2k
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not sure if matters what sex you are. If you have good service and are trustworthy it shouldn't matter. You could go into a partnership with a female and be the driver to get errands done. In some cases people can always do background checks on you, and if you don't have anything to hide you would be okay. But over all if you have a way to earn your customers trust and keep it you'll be okay.

10. spyindiaanu

spyindiaanu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I think when a man open a business they also try to have involvement of the woman, really woman is real good supporter of new business they handle client with best communication skill and having grown up the business fast as compare to man, But one thing is that some works only man do in perfect way and some woman only handle.