Does anyone use Skype?

Discussion in 'Website Development, Design & Web Hosting' started by Kay, May 12, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay Member

Money:
    $0
    (Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong place, Fergal and the mods.)

I downloaded Skype and am all ready to give it a whirl with my shiny new headset and mic. :D Any tips on how to get the best out of it please?

It has lots of options in the Extras section. Any of them worth adding on?

I wish I could coax my parents to get online! This would save me the costs of calls if they downloaded it too. I saw you can also add it to your website. I've not figured that out yet.

2. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman Member

Money:
    $0
    Great, simple to use. Haven't ever really needed an extra options except Pamela or Pretty May fr recording interviews. Calling people internationally on Skype whether they have Skype or not has saved me a lot of money in phone bills

3. Kay

Kay Member

Money:
    $0
    Great to hear, thanks very much Techknowoman. I'm giving it a spin tomorrow hopefully with a willing victim... err I mean friend. :D

4. sigma

sigma Active Member

Money:
    $0
    I use skype since year 2007 but mostly to make an international call, the cost is much cheaper than others. Of course, if both party are online, then it doesnt nee to pay single penny. Skype no doubt is worth to use :)

5. seanstevens

seanstevens Member

Money:
    $0
    Have used Skype for the past few years. It is great for the kids to keep in touch with their grandparents and cousins.

I also have an account for business which comes in very handy.

6. brenddowling

brenddowling New Member

Money:
    $0
    Skype is really a useful software and it is very much user friendly. It is really easy to use. Skype has all the features that are present in the ordinary phone. Skype can work on windows, Mac, Linux, PDA, poket PC.

7. Lingua21

Lingua21 Member

Money:
    $0
    My wife has been using Skype for online Italian lessons for a while now. One of the best things I like about it is that if you have a decent webcam with a good microphone together with a reasonable PC and a quality screen then it is almost as though your pupil is sat there in the room in front of you.

She also uses the chat feature which appears adjacent to the video so that she can type in Italian phrases that relate to the lessons.

Another neat tool is an icon that you can display on your website to tell people whether you are online with Skype or not.

Good luck - Mike Dove

8. chrisdina

chrisdina Member

Money:
    $0
    I'm familiar with skype when I was working in a company survey. Skype is very useful to communicate with my friends on different floors and became easier when sending data to friends, without having to come to their table.... :D
    By the way, I often see Oprah using Skype to talk with the guest speakers at the show, and she looked like this facility. :)

9. Kay

Kay Member

Money:
    $0
    Thanks everybody! I was making my husband call me from his computer in the other room last night so I could set the volume and so on correctly. We had a good laugh. I think I'm okay but will know better when I talk to the person later today. My husband's still not 100% convinced there's no hidden charges for Skype-to-Skype calls, so an extra special thanks to everyone that confirmed that! :)

I was thinking last night Techknowoman after you mentioned about recording interviews, would it be able to record calls to an acceptable podcast quality? That's something I've had in the back of my mind for Cuckleburr, interviewing authors and having podcasts of the interviews on the site. I'd appreciate thoughts on that please. Also, is there a limit on how long it records for? Thanks.

10. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman Member

Money:
    $0
    You can certainly record to an acceptable quality to podcast - I know a number of internet marketers who do using Pamela or Pretty May mainly. I think they are both free for 15min and then incur charges. Can't remember more details without searching but if you take a look in Google there is plenty of info around.

11. Kay

Kay Member

Money:
    $0
    Shall do! Thanks again for the information. That's good to know. :)

12. JamesD31

JamesD31 Member

Money:
    $0
    I use it on occasion, for both personal and business use - it really is helpful and worth having.

13. aandybinaton

aandybinaton New Member

Money:
    $0
    I was using skype a few days back when a popup appeared to tell me that my pasword had been changed and that I needed to login using "my" new password. Of course I couldn't as the password/account had been hijacked. I have contacted Skype and am awaiting a response. Others with similar experiences have indicated 4-10 DAYS response times from Skype before things start happening.

Googling 'Skype password hijack' will bring up 1000s of hits, clearly indicating that this is a widespread and unaddressed issue, and a clear indication that Skype does not/can not help - once you are locked out, the process to restore your account is beyond most people's capacity to provide necessary info. You need to have details of your last credit card transaction with Skype, original email that you used to set up the acct etc etc - if you don't have these, sorry, you're out of luck.

14. ownedbox

ownedbox Active Member

Money:
    $6
    lolz
    the last time i use skype, someone just send me a message. saying he found me. thru searching my name. :D

i'm now using pidgin as i think this is better.

15. arpianna11

arpianna11 New Member

Money:
    $0
    Yeah i use skype

16. nirose

nirose Member

Money:
    $0
    I too use skype and mostly use it for video and voice chat as it give you so good quality then anyother messenger that i know. Other messenger seem to create noise and the video streaming is slow while in skype with the same connection it looks and feels real nice.

17. Kay

Kay Member

Money:
    $0
    That's a bit worrying. I'll only be using the free side I imagine anyway so won't need to supply credit card information. I appreciate the headsup though. Please do keep us posted on it and how/when it gets resolved. Sorry to hear about your troubles with them.

18. Imarketed

Imarketed New Member

Money:
    $0
    Voip buster

Hi,

For international house to house calls I use Voipbuster which is cheaper than skype. Only problem with Voip Buster is they decide to change their user policy when it suits them! Watch out for that one.

regards

19. OnlineBusinessZen

OnlineBusinessZen New Member

Money:
    $0
    I use it extensively for personal use and recently I started using it more for business use. You can set up a "skype in" line with a real phone number to essentially act as a business line. The line can capture all of your voice mails, and you can skype out to return the calls for a fraction of what a conventional business line might cost.

In addition in the fall I plan to start using it for podcasting. The call quality with a USB microphone is much higher than is possible with a regular phone, so it is a great way to interview remote guests. In fact Leo Laporte (twit.tv) uses skype for both audio and video on his podcasts/videocasts, and he's one of the most popular podcasters in the world.

Brad

20. sshayndell12

sshayndell12 New Member

Money:
    $0
    I use skype since year 2008 but mostly to make an international call, the cost is much cheaper than others.