Does anyone use Instant Messaging software within their business?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Paul_R, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Paul_R

Paul_R
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi guys, newbie here! I love the forum – I’ll been reading & following for a while now!
    I’m just looking to see if anyone uses any form of ‘Instant Messaging’ software between employees in their business?

If so, which one do you use and why?
    If not, what do you use to communicate within the office? (apart from speaking – obviously! ;))

Thanks guys! Really look forward to your responses! :)

Regards,
    Paul

2. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Personally, I do. It help a lot in my business in terms of being able to have interaction and conversation with my clients. It helps me be able to reach them easily and answer their questions efficiently, just as they need it.

3. TimB

TimB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Paul,
    Welcome to the forum!
    Communication is very important for any organization, we at office use a customized software which have all the contacts of employees already in it. So we can either write a message or call. It's similar to Skype but I think our software is better.

4. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I did have back when I was providing computer services. It does help getting my potential client to talk to me before I will visit thier place. This also help me know what they are experiencing and that I can prepare.

5. sarahfriedlander

sarahfriedlander
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Instant communication is incredibly important and useful especially when working with remote employees/vendors. I've worked at a lot of companies and it really seems like each company have their own preference. Lately the trend seems to be to use Skype and Google Talk.

6. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I haven't used it from the business end, but as a customer I find it very helpful for simple questions. Most of the time the answer to these questions leads to a purchase (or lack of a purchase), where I would have just gone elsewhere if I couldn't find the information.

7. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We use it for staff to communicate with each other. We have a Live Chat system for clients but within the company for personnel communication we use IM.

8. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My previous company is using the instant massager in between the company because the company have few branches. We use it mainly for the planing and idea sharing. For the urgent case, we still use phone.

9. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Getting more business using instant message, because it is easy to share, call and get response. Company which using Google apps and outlook 2010 lync, their email account is automatically connect with instant message.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've rarely used instant messaging for business, because I find that when I turn it on I spend too much time chatting with people and it distracts from my work. The times I have used it has usually been for technical support and my experience was that it works very well for that.

When communicating with a company regarding their products or services, I will often use their Facebook page or Twitter account. I find that they will make more of an effort to be helpful and responsive to their customers that way, due to the public nature of the comments.

11. dgeneschi

dgeneschi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, my business uses Skype internally, but, like Fergal, I usually find it a distraction and mostly use email instead. I have, anecdotally, heard very good things about 37Signals' Campfire, which, to my knowledge, has a very large and tech savvy install base.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lincoln Smith

Lincoln Smith
    uix_expand uix_collapse

One can use G-talk, Skype, IM or any other software. But the main thing is that stay connected every moment. This helps in building trust and you can solve any issue quickly.

13. william jones

william jones
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes! We use an instant messaging chat app which is completely built from an instant messaging solution Contus Fly. This helps us to build a secured real-time chat app with many customizable features where we can have our own unique features that is required for the communication within the team. And also it supports all the platforms and we feel it even more comfortable for our team collaboration.

14. CWPDEV

CWPDEV
    uix_expand uix_collapse

• Promotional Links are not allowed in normal forum posts. This post has been edited to remove a promotional link.
    Hi Paul,
    In my experience, you've got to be really careful with what sort of digital distractions you build into your business processes, and which positions you're going to allow to be affected by them. The more complex the work, and the more strategic position, the more you'll need to reduce the chatter that pulls employees away from their focus.

I was at a company were we actually gravitated many of the positions away from using email, based on its distractive nature (Email has an instant messaging affect with it's popup window). Instead we transitioned to communicating standard transactional information using shared documents--the result was a sense of calm and control.

15. zarood

zarood
    uix_expand uix_collapse

yes, we use instant messenger app with my team in office. its a easily for work and communication with each other.

16. radwebhosting

radwebhosting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We utilize Slack as it fits well within our needs. A lot of instant messenger applications are very popular and much more convenient for multitasking.

17. william jones

william jones
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes we use Contus Fly an instant messaging solution that helps to build an instant messaging chat app exclusively for your team with fully customizable features using real-time chat app technologies.

18. Andrey Sokurec

Andrey Sokurec
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes the most of businesses use Skype, GTalk and other software to interact with their client and employees as well

19. Dynadot

Dynadot
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Our company uses Slack and it's been a great addition. We have offices in the US, Canada, and China, so being able to easily communicate to the entire team over Slack is great. It also allows employees to discuss things throughout the day without having to get up and interrupt each other (especially important when you work with computer engineers). Slack is our internal use IM, but we also use Skype with our partners and have a custom built chat service for our customers.

20. allcitycleaning

allcitycleaning
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We just use sms text messaging via cell phone. Don't really need any thing else. Have used Slack and it is ok but not really needed. The one thing we do use that is invaluable is chat on our web site. We engage visitors in real time and close lots more people than relying on phone calls. It is a god send.

Julia