Does anyone else go through this?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by amwarner, Sep 12, 2013.

1. amwarner

amwarner
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I find it extremely difficult lately for people to understand exactly what it is that I do. Like it’s impossible for them to think of anything that's not a 9 - 5 job. The whole exchange is hard actually because they just don't get what it is that I do. Does anybody else go through this? If so, how to you try to explain it to them, if at all?

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That is something that a lot of people with their own business experience. One way to deal with it is to spend some time coming up with an elevator pitch. I'm not sure if you have heard of the elevator pitch concept before or not. An elevator pitch is basically how you would describe what you do in less than two minutes, if you were to meet a stranger in an elevator.

If you like amwarner, you could write your elevator pitch here and we will give you feedback and suggestions as to how to make it more understandable.

3. Shawn Gossman

Shawn Gossman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You need to focus on reputation and brand development. You need to give yourself a lasting reputation. I commonly do this by obsessing over the brand or niche of a business or website that I run. Become an expert of the brand or niche and look to solve problems within it.

4. Fate

Fate
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is not uncommon with an online business and other freelancing jobs. You could explain what you do depending upon that person's level of understanding. OR prepare something like the elevator pitch that Fergal mentioned.

5. StevenF

StevenF
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's fine, I think this is common. Summing up what you actually do can be difficult. Even in a 2 minute elevator pitch it's hard for some to get a full appreciation of what you do. But it's definitely a start if you can explain so that they have a basic understanding.