Do you/ would you pay online?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by mybusinez.com, Oct 20, 2009.

1. mybusinez.com

mybusinez.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm just doing a bit of market research for my own websites. I've recently started some business and social networks as a way of generating revenue to keep me afloat as my usual business in web design/ web development has seriously gone down in recent times.

The way my websites work is that I sell a 'platform' or advertising space for a small fee. I'm thinking the more users I get, the more chance I have of making a decent wage for myself.

I'm just wondering about a few questions. I hope some of you can help me out.

1. Would you pay to place an advertisement online?
    2. How much of an audience or a platform would you need to make it worth it?
    3. Would you pay to post jobs?
    4. Would you pay to view a booking sent to you via someone's website? It's a definite booking of course.
    5. Do you think online advertising is worth it?

Please let me know.

By the way, I have a nice little payments system using paypal and ASP that allows users to pay for a service on your website and get something in return. If you are looking for this kind of system I can set it up for you.

2. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My take on this:

1. Yes, if it is in a place with my target audience.
    2. That is the tricky one. It is not the number of people that see my add that is important, but if they are the right kind of people. The only way for me to find that out is spend time there and try to read people from what they talk about etc.
    3. Personally no. Using something like Linked-in for free helps you to target specific skills you are looking for, but I guess if the platform was busy enough some people would.
    4. Can't answer this one as it would never apply for my business.
    5. Any advertising is valuable if you get it for the right price and it is aimed at the right people.

3. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. As long as the website is quality site and able to provide targeted traffic to my site
    2. Mostly look for the quality than quantity. And the cost is another consideration factor
    3. Yes, if necessary
    4. No
    5. Yes

4. CJM2009

CJM2009
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. Yes, I eBay purchases and payment.
    2. As long as good quality and benefits. Could be a number of considerations.
    3. Depends on the actual situation.
    4. Yes.

If anyone likes shopping, please refer to my presentation: http://www.businessadviceforum.com/showthread.php?p=28720&posted=1 # post28720. ebates now offers a variety of benefits!

5. Albus

Albus
    uix_expand uix_collapse

1. Yes, if it is in a place with my target audience.
    2. quality,quantity and cost
    3. If it is necessary
    4. NO
    5. YES

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here's my view about this:

Yes. If the site have a lot of traffic and the advertising costs is affordable.

Quality is a must.

Yes. I think it is the fastest way to get a worker and being a paid advertiser, your advertisement is on top priority.

No.

Yes. There are lots of people who surf and spend alot of time online so there are high chances your advertisement will get the attention of your future customers.

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sorry to hear that your business is not as busy as it was. Unfortunately many businesses are experiencing similar issues at this point in time.

1. Yes, I have paid for advertising in the past and will again.

2. One of the most important factors is the relevance of the audience. There's no point in advertising on a busy site if that site's visitors are not interested in what you have to offer. On the other hand I'd be happy to advertise on a site that is not so busy if what I was advertising was of interest and relevance to the site's visitors. Based on a relevant target audience, the bigger the audience the more you can charge for advertising.

3. Probably not, there are so many freelance sites, forums and social networking sites where you can post jobs for free. However, some people do pay a lot to advertise jobs in a place where they know a lot of qualified people will see the vacancy. For example posting a job ad costs $350 for 21 days on http://jobs.joelonsoftware.com/. They can charge that much because such a large number of high quality software developers visit the site and will see the job opening.

4. Yes, if the booking was going to be profitable for me. That's how http://www.hostels.com/ and http://www.hostelworld.com/ operate. They charge the hostels a small fee for every booking they make.

5. Definitely. It can be extremely targeted, you can use tracking to accurately measure results. It's not for nothing that the spend on online advertising recently surpassed the spend on TV advertising in the UK.

ASP - does that mean your application only runs on Windows hosting?

8. mybusinez.com

mybusinez.com
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have to say I am quite stunned that so many people said 'no' to this option. Perhaps they didn't understand the question. The point is that a client has, essentially, asked to pay you for your services, the client has actually pressed the 'buy this product' or 'buy this service' button and is holding the money ready to actually pay you. If you pay the 'middle man' or 'sales person' a small fee you can get the booking and make a profit from the deal where you may not have ever got that deal at all. Would people still say no to this?

Well I have it built in ASP but I could just as easily build it in PHP and integrate it with a PHP website. Thanks for asking the question by the way. I should have made that clear :)

Thanks to all who answered the questions. It has given me a lot to think about.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I'd agree that it probably comes down to understanding. I personally feel that most businesses would be very happy to pay, if they understood that there was guaranteed profit from them. Some businesses have been very successful with this type of business model. It works particularly well where the customer pays the broker / middleman a deposit equal to the brokers fee and then pays the remainder of the cost directly to the supplier. When this happens the supplier doesn't have to directly hand over any payment to the middleman.

That's how the hostel sites work. When a customer pays a deposit on the website, it goes directly to the website owner and that is their fee for securing the business. The customer pays the remainder of the accommodation cost when they actually visit and stay at the hostel.

Thanks I'll bear that in mind for any future requirements I may have.