Do you Use Pinterest for Traffic?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by sayitproud, Jun 10, 2012.

1. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pinterest seems to be the newest big player online in terms of driving traffic. Do you use it? Has it been worth the time invested? Any tips for those who want to get started on it?

2. band

band
    uix_expand uix_collapse

3. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, it depends. It becomes a creative social media to share interesting photos sometimes (though sometimes there are really those ugly photos). It can be helpful in terms of real estate (pictures of houses), web designing (in terms of showing one's portfolios), just image sharing, for photographers to share their artistic photos, etc. There are those that make Pinterest an interesting social media though it may be quite have an obvious limitations/scope as well.

Regards,
    Mark T

4. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the info. But do you guys actually get traffic from Pinterest yourselves?

5. ChrisLeads

ChrisLeads
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am using Pinterest. I can say that it helped my site to generate traffic.

6. patrick0001

patrick0001
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So far Malaysian people still not aware of Pinterest, number of active member is little. However, I found that Pinterest very good to present event calendar and infographic.

http://pinterest.com/malaysiafair/ (I break it into 12 months, so that reader can easily follow monthly event, you may apply the same method to pin last blog articles, product and services)

7. StaceyG

StaceyG
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for including that link. There was a helpful follow-up to that article as well, with tips on using Pinterest.

We're slowly gaining more traffic from Pinterest. We're being smarter with our images, recognizing what will look good on Pinterest and our website. Is it driving huge sales? No. We average a few referrals a day who look around our website and don't just bounce. We're not investing a great deal of time into managing our boards (at this time), but more and more people are following us, and more and more people are pinning images from our site. So it's something we'll continue building on!

To the OP, check out the Pinterest articles on The Social Skinny, they should really help you out.

8. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks StaceyG, I'll check out the articles. When you say you are being smarter with your images, what are you doing to be smarter? What kind of advice do you have?

9. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not even aware of it. but i heard of it before. i thought its just somewhat like an article directory. As of now, i'd rather pst my articles in my site myself.

10. StaceyG

StaceyG
    uix_expand uix_collapse

We have a few different online retail sites (promotional products, personalized photo products, and pocket folders, all different sites). For all of them, we keep the main product image as the product against a white background for cleanliness. However, in alternate views we are trying to add more "setting" shots that look a bit more realistic. And it's working! We're also taking quality photos ourselves for blog posts and articles because (and I'm going out on a limb here) stock photos never get pinned. It seems most Pinterest users prefer realistic images, not cutout pictures.

I've also heard of people creating taller images. The thought is that they take up more real estate on the Pinterest page, catching more peoples' eyes, potentially creating more clicks.

All this said, I don't think every company needs to jump on the Pinterest bandwagon. Just start by having good, quality images (with good alt tags, Pinterest sometimes grabs that) for people to find. But it all depends on who your market is.

11. audreyabbey

audreyabbey
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I also use Pinterest since its the 3rd widely use social media no doubt you can get traffic. It depends on you what kind of image you want to pin, sharing and pinning images is really cool.

12. seolyka2

seolyka2
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, Pinterest is good in driving traffic and referrals since it is 3rd most use social media lot of users started sharing and pinning images from their website specially infographic.

13. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, yes it does drive good traffic but you do not have to rely much on it to drive traffic at all. Still make use of other social media sites alike.

14. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Pinterest did quite make it to one of the newest and most talk of the town social media platforms to date. Although I did heard about their newest TOS so you should be careful in using it though.

15. ScottBradley

ScottBradley
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes it works really well when you use the right content. Based on my experience, I have found that using Infographics have been the most successful. One of the infographics I submitted got 300+ repins in less than 2 weeks...with thousands of visitors being driven to my site because of it! If you want to see the post, send me a PM for the link!

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a great success Scott. How did you achieve that, was it simply a matter of putting up an image of an ebook that people liked and then started re-pinning?

17. ilovedesign

ilovedesign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Again, success in social networking sites depends solely on how you carried out you promotion efforts. No matter how good the platform is, if you don't reciprocate them with good efforts, it will be no use.

18. Frugality

Frugality
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've had decent success with traffic from Pinterest, but it seems to somewhat depend on your niche. Niches that are visual by nature like fashion, beauty, art, etc. seem to do better than others. Posting a stock photo of something isn't going to be very successful (at least it hasn't in my case). Original pics, morphed or edited pics, and videos seem to work well (just make sure you stay within any TOS of the pic if you don't own it.) In my case, the more I've participated in the community with repins, follows, etc., the more traffic I drive to my sites.

19. raksha

raksha
    uix_expand uix_collapse

20. raksha

raksha
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi,

Yes,Pinterest does drive traffic to the website.Based on the experience you can check here: pinterest/discountpandit.

Thanks.