Do you use an office chair with arms?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My husband and I are at odds over this. I've been having neck and shoulder pains and he says that it's my chair because it has no arms on it and there's nothing to support my arms when I'm typing all day. I hate chairs with arms! I feel they are too restrictive. But I'd get one if it would help because by the day's end I've hardly been able to move this week.

Any thoughts on if it makes a difference or not? My argument is they wouldn't design office chairs without them if they weren't suitable for working at a desk all day. :D It's just a standard swivel chair.

2. johnhuston

johnhuston
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yup,

I think its necessary.

3. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I can say it's what they call "Computer Stress."

I can't really comment on this since I'm only using the chairs with arm rest due to my condition.
    But I can say that it can help in balancing the way you seat on your chair. And you wouldn't over exert force in raising your arms to reach the desk. Just let it rest on the arms and you'll see better results.

For neck pains, I would suggest you to have a chair with a neck rest. So when you are feeling some neck pains, you can lay there your head and rest for a bit.

And for everyone who makes non-stop work infront of the computer, like Kay, take some rest every hour or two. Make a couple of stretching exercise to prevent muscle pains. Don't forget to focus your eyesight on different things with different distances to prevent eye strain.

Check out these site with some instructions on doing what they call "Desk Stretches" to beat "Computer Stress".
    http://www.shelterpub.com/_fitness/_desk_stretches/stretches_graphic.html
    http://www.technospot.net/blogs/some-simple-stretching-exercises-for-beating-out-computer-stress/

Hope that helps Kay. :thumbsup:

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

My office chair has arms, but I rarely use them. My arms are usually on my desk and not on the chair arms. As GekiDan said, it's important to have correct posture when sitting at your desk and all computer workers should take regular breaks and do some stretching. I get some neck pain myself and mostly I put it down to poor posture, when working at my PC.

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dang, you mean I'm outvoted??? I'm not telling him LOL. :p

Thanks for the help, guys. Now that I think about it, we both sit completely differently at our desks. I hunch over mine with the chair pulled up tight so there's not an inch of space between me and my desk. He leans back and keeps the keyboard at arms length. The fact that he can touch type and I can't makes a difference too I guess.

You're right, Dan. I don't move nearly enough once I sit down. It's only the dogs pawing at me to go out that gets me up really, or an empty coffee cup.

Fergal, I put a microwaveable heating pad on mine last night and it helped it a lot. You can buy or make them. They're just a rectangular pouch filled with uncooked rice and you warm them in the microwave for a minute or so. You do need to stand over them though and make sure you don't do it for too long or it will burn the rice. You could try that sometime. I'm betting mine is poor posture too.

6. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Dont blame the chair, this is because you are sit on the chair working, you need to leave the chair and have some fresh air for 5 minutes after work for 45 minutes, so complaint to your boss because not giving you some break time...lol.
    According to research, chair without arm can actually make you more concentrate on the work. Chair with arm is "too comfortable", it make people lazy

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the suggestion Kay, the pain has only started recently, I'd prefer to solve the cause of the problem and improve my posture. Glad to hear that it is working for you.

8. rdcclu

rdcclu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best investment I have made in office equipment is a chair from Relax the Back.
    http://www.relaxtheback.com/

I would go to their site and read up on their take on ergonomics. They have specific
    recommendations on the position of your arms and wrist while typing on a keyboard,
    which is what most of us do all day.

I sprung for this one: http://www.relaxtheback.com/lifeform-management-grand-office-chair-1003.html

While my wallet is thinner, I have had no neck or back pain since I bought it.

9. Justin

Justin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't. I have a pretty basic office chari really. Designed to keep me out of the office as much as possible! Of course it doesn't really work.

My father has an amazing office chari which I have never seen sold anywhere or indeed anywhere else. I should ask him where he got it from although I suspect it was rather expensive.

IT looks a bit like the kneeling chairs you can buy but it definitely isnt the same. He swears by it!

10. ghaffar795

ghaffar795
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes i am using arm chair. I think, it is necessary for us. There is noting do with out.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

12. Komputergeek

Komputergeek
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ithink Kay your husband is write because I have personally experience this. In my previous company where I was doing had no-arm chair which got me lots of back pain and neck pain but in current company I am using chair with arms and I am feeling well now..

13. ecoman

ecoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've tried all sorts of chairs from the standard to beanbags.

I prefer to sit cross legged so I know sit on a car seat I got from the scrap yard.

Its adjustable and has good support.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

That's a novel solution ecoman, do you use that when working at your PC?

15. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ha! Yes, freelancing is great. I looked at myself in the mirror and said I'd be getting the union involved if I didn't get more breaks. All I need do now is join a union. ;)

You're right. I'm just treating the symptom and not the root of it. Hope you get to the bottom of it.

Thanks for the help, rdcclu. And oh my goodness, that's an expensive chair! I guess though with our health we really shouldn't think in those terms. That will last you a lifetime too.

Do ask him Justin please. It would be interesting to see an alternative. Those kneeling chairs look so uncomfortable although I know they are meant to be much better for your back. I don't know anyone that uses them and would love to know how practical they really are. You can get them for under $100.

Thanks for sharing your opinion, ghaffar795. :)

Thanks for the input, Komputergeek. Another vote for him. :) I've always been a sloucher too which doesn't help.

That's a novel idea. I imagine it would be like those gaming chairs you get? They remind me of car seats. My son sits cross legged when he's using his laptop too. That would really kill my back!

16. ecoman

ecoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal, yes I use it when sitting at my PC. I use a wireless keyboard with touchpad so as I do not have to lean forward.

Kay, I guess a bit like a gaming chair except more environmentally friendly as it is being re-used from an old car that would otherwise be landfilled.

The plan was/is to weld some metal to it to make it into a self contained workstation.

It is on my to do list as I need to borrow some welding equipment, find some scrap metal and then learn how to weld.

I think the current recommendations are that you get up from your computer and take a break every 20 minutes. Fine if you work on your own but not sure the man would be too happy about it.

17. shanwany

shanwany
    uix_expand uix_collapse

of course it is so comfortable to me.

18. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The man's my husband, not my boss! :) I work from home so can do that, yes. Thanks for the tip.

I really like your idea of recycling that car seat and hadn't thought about it in that sense. Have you ever thought about starting a business making and selling your eco-friendly workstations since you'll have the know-how? I bet they'd go down a storm in green circles. :)

19. young31

young31
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am just using dining chair here, lappy is at the dining table that is why. at least I can stretch my legs front and down.. :) It helps feeling comfortable specially working online all day..

20. ecoman

ecoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Funny you should say that as I have had an idea for ages of using old warehouses near municipal tips to store and sell usable stuff people throw away.

It needs to be managed through government or a large charity so it can be rolled out country wide.

A lot of things people throw away are still useful but you need some really big warehouses to recondition and dry store them.

Things like computer parts and white goods parts would save the country a small fortune.

Imagine that when you chuck your washing machine it's usually because only 1 part has failed, the rest of the machine is fine.

You could use the machine for parts or build working machines from all the good parts.

The main idea would be to sell back part to the public as new parts tend to cost a mint where a reconditioned part would do just fine.

Unfortunately I am not really that good at making stuff although I have just built a toddler proof wooden unit. Those toddlers just love to open doors and help themselves to the contents:eek: