Do You Think Social Networks are Diluting the Value of Forum Sites?

Discussion in 'Social Media for Business' started by Remotestaff, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Remotestaff

Remotestaff
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Before the advent of social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Friendster, etc., one reason that people joined forum sites for was also to get in touch with friends and meet new people.

Nowadays, less and less people join forums to meet people and instead they prefer to follow/subscribe on many social networking sites to stay in touch.

What are your thoughts about it? Do you believe that there will come a time when forums will be just for spammers...and the business discussions we have on forums will be shifted to social networking sites? Do you think this is already happening presently?

:confused:

2. brownnataly21

brownnataly21
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't beleive it at all. There are people who like forums and people who prefer social networks. Everyone chooses what attracts the person more but forums will never die.

3. hcted

hcted
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nope, Social Networks are just another way to connect people and the Web I believe. Internet discussions such as these should (and probably) never will go away. Forums are a specialty. Just as in Wal Mart you can buy beds, but if you go to a store that only sells beds, you have a better line of beds and features in those beds. That's my thinking.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I honestly don't fully believe it when people tell me that social networking sites don't represent any threats to forums and I agree with Remotestaff that people are using social networking sites for some communications and contacts that were previously completed on forums. However, I also believe that forums still have a role, because they provide a better platform for discussing a certain topic and for asking for specific advice on that topic.

Social networking sites can also be used to complement and promote forum sites. For example I use Twitter to promote my forums and Business Advice Forum has its own FaceBook page. Hence, social networking sites represent both a threat and an opportunity for forums.

5. Remotestaff

Remotestaff
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here's what a mate of mine said, in response to the thread question: "No. Social media will never replace forums, and besides it's more fun to debate with other people in forums."

:D I guess what he really means here is that people find more substance and absorb more useful information from the discussions on forums rather than on social media sites.