Do you think small business owners 500k-10mm WILL ACEPT THIS PROPOSITION?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by investopediafreak, Mar 31, 2010.

1. investopediafreak

investopediafreak
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am looking to become a self-employed business consultant, who takes a commission solely on the profit I make the client. I am looking to get experience in this field by means of offering my services for free for the first couple of businesses I work with. My services are basically compprised of me analyzing the business and proposing business ideas to he owner of the business for growth. Do you think a small business owner would be willing to have a free "idea-man" working with them?
    fyi, I have an MBA.

ANY input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Joseph Carre.

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Joseph, welcome to Business Advice Forum, thanks for joining and posting your business questions. As a result of the recession, many businesses are finding times difficult at the moment. Hence, I would say that you should be able to find some businesses who would very much welcome a free service that could help them to improve their sales and profitability.

The business owners will need to trust you, before they give you access to their confidential business and financial information. A business card and a flyer or mini-brochure, that outlines your services and gives details on your background, would be helpful in this regard.

Would it be possible for you to partner with a local accountancy practice in some way. This would help them, because you would be recommending their services to your clients and it would help you because you would have access to accountancy expertise and it would also give you some additional credibility. If your own strengths are in the area of sales and business growth, a partnership with an accountant with an expertise in cost cutting, could work very well for both of you.

Good luck with it and please post back with your thoughts.

3. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fergal gives some sound advice; partnering with some other professions is a good way of being introduced. Companies will either need to be have a few problems or very trusting otherwise. Referrals would make it easier to do. You'll need to get yourself a good CV (Resume) in place as people want to know that consultants have a good track record.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thinking about it, local business networks and organisations such as Chambers of Commerce, would be very valuable resources for helping to promote your services.