Do you think football/soccer clubs CAN profit?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Grumpy, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Hey guys.

I got a question for you. Ever since I was a young boy I've dreamed about how cool it would be to own a football club. I realize there is little to no chance of that ever happening since I'm not a millionaire, but my question to you is, do you think there is honestly room for football/soccer clubs to make money?

Discuss. :)

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Soccer clubs in Ireland have been having a difficult time, with most league clubs losing money and a few of them going bankrupt in the last couple of years. I think the way to make money from a club would be to buy a small one in one of the lower divisions, then build it up so that it becomes famous and sell it to someone hugely successful who wants the prestige of owning a big club.

Try not to think that way, stay positive and ask yourself "what can I do to make it happen?"

3. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

The chances of me ever having that kind of money needed to buy a football club are smaller than me being dead right now. :p

That would surely be a good way to make profit from a football/soccer club Fergal, but I was thinking more in general of owning a club and profiting without selling it? Does anyone think that is genuinely possible?

Also, there has been trouble around the World with football/soccer clubs going bankrupt, it's happened to some very high-profile clubs here in England too. I think the current Worldwide financial crisis can be blamed for the bankruptcy of the sport. However, even with most clubs losing money, we don't see a reduction in the ridiculous wages offered to these players?

4. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I'm not really familiar to these football clubs but I suppose that it is a group of teams and the just basically play? If that is the case, the it would kind of be hard to make a profit because if you think about it, only ads and sponcers are the only real way of generating revenue. But if you stick with it for a while, I do think it would be possible.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Grumpy as you most probably know the clubs make huge money from selling merchandise associated with their team. If you want to find a way into a football related business perhaps you can start reselling merchandise from your favourite team and build your business from there. Is that something that would interest you?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Correct Fergal but 90% of the time the clubs don't sell the merchandise themselves, they license that right to other stores. However yes it would be something I'd be interested in could I gain the starting capital needed and find the right contacts from which to buy bulk stock.

7. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, it is same as you are doing other business but invest on football club need to spend alot on it. Still, you need to know how to manage your club, as you can see many of those top football club is actually losing money

Note: millionaire is not enough to own a football club, you gotta be billionaire

8. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Of course clubs lose money because of the ridiculous wages they're playing their players. Merchandise and sponsor cash doesn't cover all of the expenses.

Not necessarily, it all depends on the size of the football club you own.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Don't let lack of starting capital stop you or delay you. Start right now by making the best of what you have. There's always a way to get started in a business, even if it's not exactly in the form you want just yet.

10. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

And which form might that be? There is no way for a business to be started by me anyway.... I wouldn't know the first thing. I'd be teared apart by tax laws and everything.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I don't know your financial situation, but just as an example someone who wants to get into a certain business sector and who has no money could make a move by starting a blog on the business that interests them. This would have a number of benefits, it would help them improve their knowledge of the industry, build their profile within the industry and also generate revenue from selling ads, affiliate programmes, etc. You could even start a blog completely free using Blogger. Have a look at 0 to $500 / Mth from Blogging.

It's natural to be intimidated and by stuff like that. But the most important thing about starting a business is that you you can make a profit from providing something of value to your target market. If you can find a way to do that there is nothing stopping you, and you will most definitely be able to deal with stuff like tax etc. You can get help and advice from right here on BAF, the Inland Revenue, other government enterprise support agencies and perhaps from an accountant when you are in a position to utilise the services of one. There are many people who are a lot less capable than you Grumpy, who have set up very successful and profitable businesses.

12. Grumpy

Grumpy
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

Thanks for the link to that post Fergal. Definitely something I'm interested in doing as I have a great knowledge in football, and with the transfer season opening writing a few posts a day should be no problem at all. Thanks again for the link, I will most likely give it a try once I've thought of a domain name.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good luck with it Grumpy and remember that we would be delighted to help in any way we can.

14. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Not really sure on the cost of football club. people from UK sure more familiar...lol
    By the way, how much are needed to own a smallest football club?