Do you take naps?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I rarely take a nap. I find it hard to doze off and I generally don't get a good night's sleep if I've slept, for even a short time during the day. However, a short nap can be quite refreshing if I'm really exhausted.

Do you take a short rest or sleep during the day?

Does it make you feel better?

2. snoop1990

snoop1990
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In general a small nape is the only sleep I get (just kidding) :D

But it is true I do not have much time so my nights are short 5 to 7 hours but I do not have a nape as there are so many things to do, I think sleeping would be a waste of time, also I might be a bit more concentrated afterwards. But there are other ways to achieve the same effect in a shorter period of time. ;)

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Such as ... ?

4. snoop1990

snoop1990
    uix_expand uix_collapse

coca cola ;)

5. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that a nap, even a short one, is quite important. Whether your work requires physical or mental effort, our body and mind requires rest in order for us to function more effectively.

Even machines need to be stopped and rested, so I think our bodies also need to stop and rest. Machines can be replaced if they're worn down, but our bodies cannot be replaced so we better take good care of it by resting often.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Caffeine from tea, coffee or Coca Cola can certainly help give us a quick boost when we are feeling tired.

Nazreen, do you take a nap in the middle of the day or at other times? How long for?

7. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not a nap actually. I just close my eyes for 10 minutes and just focus on breathing in and out. It's something like meditation but sometimes, I fall asleep while doing this. :) A friend of mine taught me this and I feel refreshed and rested after doing it.

I also make sure that I take my full one-hour lunch break away from work. This one-hour break is very important for me in order to de-stress and rest. I don't drink coffee because I feel very nervous after drinking it. I also don't drink softdrinks because it's bad for the liver.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like a nice relaxing break from work. Do you set an alarm to remind you when the 10 mins is up or do you simply just take a few minutes and start again when you're ready?

9. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's only approximately 10 minutes so I don't set an alarm clock. If you also want to try this, you can start with a just a few slow breaths (maybe 10 or 15) and progress from there.

By the way, the breathing involved here is that of abdominal breathing. It's usually taught in yoga or some martial arts like aikido that we should breathe just like when we were still babies. If you look at a baby, you will notice that the tummy will rise when breathing in and will go down when breathing out. Nowadays, most people just breathe to their chests so it's shallow breathing.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the tips Nazreen. I've done a little yoga in the past so my breathing is actually OK.

I'm afraid that if I didn't set an alarm I'd be so concerned about falling asleep that I'd find it very difficult to relax.

11. Swastik

Swastik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Taking a rest is quite important for human body to function properly. Sound sleep in night is for that only.

In daytime, Yoga and similar kind of exercises can make you feel relaxed and increase your concentration on your work. Being a student, and preparing for the toughest exam here in India, it's important for me to have good concentration.

I do take naps, but only when I am quite exhausted, not in general cases.

12. Zantetsken

Zantetsken
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I only take naps if I've really been lacking sleep, i.e. only getting 2-4 hours of sleep. After an 8 hour day at work with little sleep, I'll sometimes just lay down on my bed and sleep for a few hours. Sometimes I've ended up sleeping right into the next day, so you have to be careful not to let the nap take over if you have other things you want to do.
    I'll also sometimes nap at work during my lunch break if lacking sleep. I'll set my cellphone's alarm to vibrate or quietly ring around 5 minutes before my break ends.

After a nap, I'll feel refreshed for a little while, but it certainly can't replace a good night's sleep. I think it would be better to just get the rest you need and not bother with naps throughout the day.

13. prettysue

prettysue
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When I feel sleepy in the morning or afternoon, I give in to my body needs especially now that I have the luxury of doing it. My shortest nap is an hour, hehehe. Is it still considered a nap?

Definitely, naps really make me feel better. I feel recharge and in the mood to continue what I am working on.

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Personally, if I slept for as long as an hour during the day, I would wake up still feeling sleepy. I think it would make me feel worse, not better.

15. prettysue

prettysue
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Really? That is quite weird. It is maybe because you are not used to having naps during the day. On the average, how many hours do you have everyday?

Sometimes I feel guilty sleeping in the afternoon. I feel like I am so lazy for my business :(

16. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I generally sleep about seven hours a night, and no I'm not used to taking naps during the day. Maybe I need more practice :)

I also sometimes get very tired in the afternoon, which can be an inconvenience when there is still a lot of work to be done, that day.

17. abadie

abadie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i take a naps in a short time.

18. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to Business Advice Forum abadie, thanks for joining.

How long is a short time?

Do you find them beneficial?

19. deepak_sharma

deepak_sharma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ya i take little naps in between my work.It has been medically proven that taking small naps enhance tour efficiency by 50%.Then why not take it.:)

20. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In Japan, they believe that you work better after a nap than before it. They even have a term for it - "inemuri" and have some guidelines on who are allowed to do it and how. I've pasted excerpts from a very nice article from BBC news below.

• Like Like x 1