Do you take a day off every week?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, May 20, 2009.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Some people say that you should take a complete break from work for a full day every week. Apparently the break makes you more efficient and helps you get a lot more work done on the six days that you do work.

This is not something I do, I try to get at least a little work done every day.

What about you do you take a day off, do you find it beneficial?

2. ShawnLim

ShawnLim
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Having a break after a long hour work surely will refreshes you.

For me, I guess I just take too much break in a week. LOL

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Is there any one day that you take completely off from work every week, perhaps a Saturday or Sunday?

4. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do definitely take most of the weekends off. On Saturdays on Sundays, I also tend to wake up a little later than usual. Me and my hubby both don't have work on weekends so that's good for us but still, we only just want to relax on the weekends but that is after cleaning the whole house. I also don't have a blog so I don't log on to my computer that much over the weekends. If I do logon, it's only to check my email.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Good for you Nazreen, sounds like great fun. Do you feel that a relaxing weekend gives you the energy to delve into your work on the following week.

6. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I have a full time job AND a I do content writing (part time) so I just cannot afford this luxury! I get 2 days off from my full time work from which I spend atleast half of each day working, the other half I relax or go out with friends. I think I get enough rest on these days but the 5 days I work full time, it gets hectic to manage both.

7. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I think it does Fergal. Aside from having the energy to work more efficiently the following week, it also helps to relax myself and be free from stress. I think it's also good that with this rest also helps me catch up with friends and relatives.

I do think that rest is very important simplyjo. At least get one or two days off in a month or two. I firmly believe that if you get sufficient rest, you'll live a long and healthier life and will then be able to enjoy to enjoy the fruits of all your hard work.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds hectic indeed simplyjo. Do you think it might help if you worked one full day over the weekend and took one full day off, rather than working two half days? The complete break for a day should leave you refreshed and ready to start the new week. Plus the day off, would be something to look forward to every week.

9. DEADMAN

DEADMAN
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, if you're completely working for full weeks then taking a day off will help you alot. But it differs with people's thought and mind. Some people may develop bad habbit to take more days to rest.

So, in my view, you should work little everyday but end the day with useful works.

10. Schwabe

Schwabe
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My strategy is to selectively take days off when the opportunity is right. Rather than having a set day of the week to take off, I will generally decide a couple days in advance that there will be a FREE day - where I can just relax or goof off.

The advantage of this is that you'll find yourself working a bit harder sometimes to earn these FREE days. Since you can have them any day you want, I find myself more inclined to put in some overtime or bust ass a little harder so I can reward myself with the next day off.

11. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Setting targets for earning your days off is a good idea Schwabe, anything that motivates us to be more productive is helpful.

12. pendelton

pendelton
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I usually do, get out of the house and away from any electronic items, leaving the cell in the car unless I go hiking. If I may need it for emergencies I'd hate to leave in the car and break my leg rock climbing. That would just not be good.

I've taken exactly 2 days off since the 9th of May. I've taken several half days off though, to I am not at this every day all day.

13. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I only take a day off when I'm too sick to work. Apart from that, a day off is never a real day off because I end up doing things I've neglected around the house. I keep promising myself I will but it never materializes often. I don't doubt the benefits at all. One thing I am doing more now is book reviews because while it's still work it forces me to sit still , get off the computer and read. That's the closest I get to making an effort to relax. :)

14. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like you have a good balance there Pendelton. Nothing like getting out for a walk into the countryside to clear your head and relax.

You are getting paid to read books Kay, sounds idyllic, good for you :)

15. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Rewarding yourself with a day off seems like a nice idea if this works for you. It's like giving yourself a present or bonus when you do well in your work/tasks.

I should also reward myself especially if I've done well. This would be one way of motivating myself to work harder and not to slack off in my work/duties. :)

16. freelancewriting

freelancewriting
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, Saturday and Sunday is my day off. It keeps me relax and have time for my family, which is the reason i work, its really worth giving time to them.

17. Nazreen

Nazreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Nice! Someone finally agrees with me. Yup, I also believe that time spent with family and friends is also as important or even more important than the time we have for work. Glad to know that we have the same priorities in life.

18. jwhitakr

jwhitakr
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I also think that rewarding yourself is a good idea, whether it be a day-off, a new gadget or other item you have been wanting, or just a fun outing with friends and family.

After all, if you don't reward yourself, who else is going to? ;)

19. jwhitakr

jwhitakr
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Kay - do you do book reviews for your writers magazine? Or where do you publish your book reviews?

20. kingmurtaza196

kingmurtaza196
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I use to take an off day on every sunday now since last month or soon I done have any off day because I earn online and I have to be online for about 12 hours for my work! it was little hard in the beginning but all the hard work is paying me good.