Do you still trust Google?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by band, Jun 10, 2012.

1. band

band
    uix_expand uix_collapse

2. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You cant do anything, accept it or leave it
    By the way, google is still generate good traffic to my site

• Like Like x 1
  3. dvduval

dvduval
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it is so important to build a business that does not depend on anything too much. Google can certainly be a great driver of traffic, but to "trust" that is will always do that for you, or have your own business depend on that is not a well rounded plan. You need to do things like build a customer list and look into marketing on other big sites like Facebook. There many others too. Lots of niches to find if you look around.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ChrisLeads

ChrisLeads
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, I agree to sigma, Google also generate good traffic to my sites.

5. sayitproud

sayitproud
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Diversity is the key as in everything. If you get too dependent on any one traffic stream, you are vulnerable. Algorithm changes are risky so try to build complementary streams.

6. riteshnarula

riteshnarula
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes you are right.

7. kimipatel

kimipatel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes it is generate the traffic... But have some patient.. It will do... But some time it will take... If you don't believe than you can quit or continue......

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do trust Google as the user's point of view. It gives me what I need whenever I look or search for something.
    It also give traffic to my sites via its own search engine.

I know Google will go down someday, may it be tomorrow or in the near future. But all we need to do is cope up with these changes, and look for alternatives.

9. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me, businesses should not 100% rely on Google's market. G may be the largest SE market but it does not mean you won't get anything more from other SE's like Bing and Yahoo, etc. So what could be a good option? Target the three - with probably G having 40%, Yahoo at 30%, and Bing at 30% at a total of 100%.

Why the numbers? When you lose something on G, you didn't lose a very huge market competitiveness and still has around 60% from the two SE's that you are also targeting. Whenever you lose something on G doesn't mean you will lose forever. You can still go with the recent market flow of G and retain back the 40% (or less) that you lost. Lesson is spread your market and not just focus on Google. It's not just about trusting Google but keeping your business alive when a part of the market fails or changes.

Regards,
    Mark T

• Like Like x 1
  10. Paulcmusik

Paulcmusik
    uix_expand uix_collapse

If anything it would only benefit Google to do its best for you and the website, because if it was not the case people would look else where. I believe this is what keeps them ahead of any other Search Engine.

11. cellington

cellington
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As mentioned in the reference in the original post, Google doesn't have a lot of interest in "doing its best for you and your website", they really don't pay much attention to individual websites. Their algorithms are designed to display the best and most relevant sites to their users. Their algorithms to define "best and most relevant" are constantly changing and it's difficult to know when they're going to completely reverse something that once worked well.

With the advent of Google Knowledge, and some of the information scraping that googlebots can do, Google has begun shifting away from simply referring people to other sites and has started providing the information so that searchers never leave Google.com.

Type "Einstein" in as your search query. Google Knowledge (if it's been rolled out in your region) displays on the right side of the page, giving fast facts about the scientist's life. That eliminates the need for many people to visit Wikipedia.com or Einstein.com.

Wondering about the weather in your area? Google used to direct people to weather websites, but now if you type in "Weather" and your city, the top result is the current forecast.

Looking for flight stats? Just type the carrier and flight number in and find out immediately the status of the flight - delayed, on time, etc. No need to visit flightstats.com anymore. ​

Don't get me wrong. We love Google. We love their algorithm updates to get rid of black hat spam. We are thrilled that they have a staff of people working 8 hours a day to filter out those who are trying to manipulate their listings. Every time they get black-hat crap out of the top of the SERPs, it's better for us and for the ethical article marketing members of the DYA Community. When they swept out "thin content" last year, our members' articles floated higher in the results pages. When they knocked out content farms and sleazy inbred networks, the site owners with whom we have relationships all found their sites rising in stature.

The thing about Google is this: There's a lot of competition for those coveted top positions and only a few websites will get there for any particular search query. It's very difficult (and expensive) for a small business owner (who has more to do than think about SEO all day) to get and stay up there. Especially when Google keeps changing the rules.

It's much easier, and far less expensive to reach out directly to your target audience than it is to be constantly fretting about back links and algorithm changes. Marketing is about people. Marketing is about making connections. Entice a qualified visitor to your website and build a relationship. Don't rely on Google, or any search engine, to be your primary referrer of traffic.

After all, how much did Google contribute to the growth in popularity of MySpace back in the day? Amazon doesn't show up in the top results on most searches, yet is a giant web presence. How much credit does Google get for the hundreds of millions of users on Facebook?

• Like Like x 2
  12. printingray

printingray
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'll choose Google every time because they have a far greater understanding of what internet marketers want.

13. DeniseTaylor

DeniseTaylor
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The best approach is to build your site for your visitor, not for Google and not for money. Of course, you want to monetize somewhere, somehow, but if you put money in the front of your mind or if you try to manipulate Google, you're going to get the opposite result.

Focus on your visitor. Be helpful and be honest and put their needs first. When you do this, the rest falls into place. Otherwise, you end up at the bottom of the stack.

14. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

i still do trust them though but its their search results that I don't like.

15. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Why? Too much spam?

16. MicroScriber

MicroScriber
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Trusting Google and Google's search results are two different topics. I trust Google the company itself, but the search results lately have been extremely poor. A lot of spam, results that have nothing to do with the search query or the parameters that I specify. Search for something on Google and then Bing. Google returns many more results, 100's of thousands more then Bing. However, Bing's search results are more accurate as to my search.

17. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think that's why there are constantly updating their algorithm...

18. Blacksnow

Blacksnow
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The Google try to push people use aswords and make money
    It is very simple explanation what is going on

19. Mark T

Mark T
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think it is normal to experience poor results sometimes - but why can you say it was a poor result? Because your site is not ranking on your niche/keywords? There are many reasons - different ones - why people don't trust or trust Google. Additionally, you have to expect changes to the SERPs as Google try to clean it and avoid results that may not be really helpful to users.

It may also be a good lesson to take from Google that the current competition of different niches and business in the SERPs should be changed in a way that people won't easily abused it.

20. cesspadilla

cesspadilla
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well I have to say that I'm beginning to love Bing more and more. But Google is Google. They got new things to provide users to enhance their user experience. Knowledge Graph is just one of the many things that they keep on providing this year. But in the recent updates, I guess I did have my doubts. But then again, if you are giving them no reason to demote you from the rankings why hate them? If you do then start changing your tactics. They want natural. Then give them natural link building.

• Like Like x 1