Do you spend too long just waiting before taking action?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I loved this article from Kristen Moeller, Author of Waiting for Jack: Confessions of a Self-Help Junkie: How to Stop Waiting and Start Living Your Life. She talks about how she took advice from everywhere, especially self-help gurus like Jack Canfield, yet she never did anything with that. She spent too long waiting for this and that to happen, for that perfect moment to occur, for someone to say it was okay to do it....before she finally got sick of waiting and just went for it. Her book's now a #1 bestseller on Amazon.com.

Do you keep waiting around for that perfect moment? Are you guilty of saying "I'll do this when..." or "I'll do it after..." or "If so-and-so says this, I'll do it"? As Kristen says, what are you waiting for?? The stars to be aligned? :)

And why do we wait anyway even when we have the tools to hand to go for it?

2. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The problem with me is that I am an instant action taker...but whenever I do things without waiting for right time and moment, things go terrible wrong...just the opposite if what is mentioned....I just hate waiting but this often proves horrible for me.,..

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

It's interesting that someone who talks about the importance of action and describes herself as a "self help junkie" is making living as a self help guru and writer.

Kay have you considered becoming an Amazon affiliate and linking some of the books mentioned on your blog, to their Amazon sales page, using your affiliate ID?

4. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm a "rush" person, and i hate to wait.
    All the people work with me before know about it. I very critical on the time management, and i always ask "when".

5. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't know what's worse, scifi. Rushing into things or waiting so long that you paralyze yourself into doing nothing. We need to find that happy medium.

Yes, the irony wasn't wasted on me either Fergal. :) The foreword is written by Canfield actually, so I guess he never took offence. :)

On Amazon: we did set it up long ago for another site and the commission from the affiliate side vs. the time it took wasn't worth the hassle for pennies. That was years ago though. I probably need to revisit that and see what's changed. Thanks for the reminder.

My husband's very like that too, sigma. In that respect, we're complete opposites. I like to think things through and look at it from all angles before I do anything whereas he likes to jump in at the deep end, full steam ahead. Not that there's anything wrong with that I guess. It's just different styles of working. That's why we rarely work together at the same time on our sites. We drive each other nuts LOL. :D

6. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I spent years like this, wanting to do something but thinking it was best to wait a few more years. After reading one of the books by Donald Trump I got inspired and took the plunge immediately. I have been like this for the past year and now I have an idea that I think will work I quickly weigh up the positives and negatives and then go for it.

7. stevecollin01

stevecollin01
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is really a interesting article as I really like this as mentioned here. As I just wait until doing any action. As many my friends says that I have lots of patience to first listen and then take action.

8. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I always want to do everything in action after thinking all the consequences. I don't want to procrastinate especially if it is important matters.

9. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

well yes i am one of those who waited for things to happen rather than making things happen.even worse i have this habit of sitting over a decision for a long time.

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I've heard great reports about Donald Trump's books, Duncan Bannatyne also says that he was inspired after reading one of Trump's books. Which one did you read?

11. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

First one I read was "Think big and kick ass" and then I read "Think like a champion". I would recommend them.

12. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're an inspiration, sean. There's hope for me yet then. :) Can I ask you to expand a bit on how you weigh up the positives and negatives fast please? That's definitely where I fall down.