Do you read ? Does it help ?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by simplyjo, Apr 17, 2013.

1. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Does reading help you relax or do you read just to gain knowledge? Either ways, I feel reading is a great hobby which is dying now due to busy lifestyles and advent of internet.

Your thoughts ?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Reading helps in many ways. Some do it for leisure. I do not think the hobby is dying. It's just that the way of reading has changed. From books to ebooks. That's the only difference. People who like reading still read. Mostly reading is for knowledge and sometimes for taking your mind off other things as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. TimeRider

TimeRider
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree with Rocky. The way of reading has changed like Book to eBook. People are reading using Internet. I am too doing the same. Because We don't need to buy books in stores, we can read using Internet and most of the ebooks are free. Not only books, there are other things which we can read like articles.

4. treasuresfromd

treasuresfromd
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I read for both knowledge and pleasure and often they are combined. I have always enjoyed reading and also find reading even if it is for knowledge to be relaxing. I have moved into the digital age with my reading as I use the Kindle ap on my Ipad (I find it a great way to take notes if I am reading for knowledge) and even though I am very busy with trying to start my online retail business as well as working another business, I find some time to read regularly. My boyfriend reads on the internet on a daily basis. He is always interested in the news and latest happenings with technology, science and such and uses an ap called Flipboard to keep himself up to date on the latest that is going on in the world. In my opinion, the internet has enhanced my reading in that so much information can be so easily gained.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Biz

Biz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Reading is one of my most favorite hobbies and it's been helping to shape who I am now. Reading also has an advantage over watching TV as written languages use symbols (words) that requires imagination to visualize, while visual media like TV lets your imagination relaxed or asleep, so the latter is more passive and less intellectual in a sense...

• Like Like x 1
  6. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I totally agree. I love visualizing the various books I read and then if the movie comes out - I like to see how apt my visualization was.

7. LordRoco

LordRoco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Goodness lord! It actually depends upon the type of book you are reading. For me, I prefer fiction and stuff like that. As for general knowledge, believe me or not, I spend an hour reading through the newspaper (except for the economics and sports page) a day though I forget half of the things that i have read by the weekend. For me, its a passion and hobby. The fact that I get to think like the authors do and that I could get deeper into their thoughts and improvise upon that thrills me to no end.

8. A_Dash

A_Dash
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I read for both! Growing up I've always considered reading a hobby. Around when I started college is when I began reading in my spare time simply for knowledge. Reading is so easy now with blogs and online magazines. I'm pretty busy these days, so the reading for pleasure thing hasn't been a priority. I've got a list of books I need to read so hopefully I'll make it through eventually!

9. LordRoco

LordRoco
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You make a good point there! I read online newspapers everyday and I also make it a point to visit sites that interests me! One site I love reading through is www.unexplained-mysteries.com Though I read very little blogs, all I read are either personal ones whcih I find very amusing or webmaster and related stuff. But yeah, its still reading!

10. Jack-AH

Jack-AH
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No I dont like reading a bit Ya I like to read email ;)

11. AnushaJain

AnushaJain
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes reading helps to know about what exactly the scenario is.it gives you the true secrets of life.reading let you know about past,present and future and thus the whole world:)
    "keep reading,stay connected"

12. NateAnglin

NateAnglin
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Reading is imperative for business success.

13. jeff123

jeff123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Reading helps you gain knowledge plus improve your insights, the way you think, improves concentration, helps you remain updated... For me it is one of the activity that makes me happy...

14. simplyjo

simplyjo
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes its all that and more :) I hate to see "Reading" dying in todays era. How do you motivate your kids to stay away from games and closer to books/outdoor activities ?

15. thebusinessdude

thebusinessdude
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Look at it this way - if the authors could be here - I would propose engaging them. They most likely are not. By engaging the author you are looking at a SME (subject matter expert) to explain his or her point of view for the topic selection. I typically read new business concepts - or spins on traditional thought.

16. TimB

TimB
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I never read to relax myself as i never find reading my kind of thing. So i avoid it to the max. even for gaining knowledge i prefer to listen and watch rather reading.

17. indianshilp

indianshilp
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I read only to gain knowledge........... but to get the tricks to relax read is important

18. FIBC

FIBC
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am mostly using the internet, in fact,the way of reading has changed like Book to eBook,most of people are reading using Internet.

19. watshelly

watshelly
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I love reading, but I have little time to read for my busy work.:rolleyes:

20. shymajones

shymajones
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

I Love reading but only when i am free and of course it helps because books are knowledge bank.