Do you push your employees to upsell?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Jerlene, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

So I was wondering if you push your employees to upsell. How important is it to your business?

The job that I work at now kind of pushes it, but it's not too bad. It feels bad when I don't make those sales though.

2. scifi

scifi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

In sales both push and pull technics are common ....Sometimes to achieve the target it is neccessary that we have push our employees to acheive the target but it is also important that we should caution our employees agaisnt not forcing the customers to buy a product...

Because a Forced Consumer brings lot of problems....

3. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I agree. Just go look at the reviews for Office Depot and Best Buy. It's incredible how many complaints they have from both employees and customers regarding this.

4. GeekGhost

GeekGhost
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No. We never push our employees to upsell. Their job is to listen to the client's needs and advise what solution is best for their particular needs. Even if that's the least expensive option.

5. pete.mcal

pete.mcal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Upselling works in certain industries i.e. "Do you want fries with that" in other cases it's annoying and eats away at the long term value and brand equity that a company may have.

If the upsell gives genuine value to the customer then it should be used. If it's a pure money maker like an unnecessary warranty then it'll do more damage than good in the long run (imo)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

:) That's always the first phrase that comes to my mind, in any discussion regarding up-selling. It's exactly what I was thinking when I read the first post in this thread.

In my opinion up-selling is fine as long as it is not too pushy and the sales person doesn't try to sell the customer something they don't need or that they won't benefit from.

7. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For where I work upselling is more along the lines of, "Nice chair you're purchasing. Do you want a desk and maybe a computer with that?"

8. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is a case to case basis when it comes to pushing your employees to upsell. There are some businesses that you really need to push them to make sales or else everything will not run in a good track.

It will also depend on the product or services that you are offering.

9. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

This is an extreme example of the worst kind of up selling - kind of like someone coming in to a store to buy a package of screws, and the salesperson tries to sell them an entire tool box full of tools. Or, to use your example, a customer comes in to buy software, and the salesperson tries to sell them not only a computer, but an entire suite of office furniture.
    On the other hand, reverse your example above, and suppose a customer comes in to buy a desk, a chair, possibly a desk lamp, could be a legitimate upsell. But, keep what pete.mcal said in mind -

10. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A chair means they have a desk. A desk means they may have and maybe even needs a computer. "Reminding" them of this is not a bad thing.