Do you offer no rank no pay services?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by altcom, Dec 21, 2012.

1. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I saw some seo firm offer no rank no pay services, do you think this is a good strategic or self killing?

2. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Doing business with a company that offers something like this is definitely NOT a good strategy (not strategic). If you really think about what this means, they are saying "We're not sure if our methods really work, so if they don't, we'll keep trying and you don't have to pay us unless it does. In the meantime, you can't leave us and go to someone who actually might get your website ranked." Not really someone I would want to do business with!

• Like Like x 1
  3. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

A further question, if competition offer such strategy to attract client, what can we do? Google algorithm is keep changing, no one can guarantee the result.

Should we set a duration, e.g. 3 months, 6 months, 9 months?

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Is it possible they are saying, "We are so confident that our methods will work, we won't ask for payment if they don't"? The SEO business in question won't get paid and hence won't stay in business, unless they can rank their clients' sites.

In a similar vain, when I see websites offering a free month trial or a money back guarantee, that gives me confidence in their service, because I feel that they couldn't offer those guarantees unless a significant proportion of their users were happy with the service.

Offer an excellent service that your clients value and are prepared to pay for. Then deliver that service so well that your clients tell other people about how good you are.

5. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

"No rank no pay" can also be described as "pay for results". The problem with this type of marketing is that the client and the company have two different views of what "results" actually means. If you hire a plumber to fix a leaky faucet, and he fixes the faucet so it doesn't leak, he has done what you hired him for. Unfortunately, SEO is a continuous process, so "results" is not as easy to define. As altcom asked, do they set a duration? If they do successfully get your website ranked within that duration, then what? The marketing efforts continue in order to maintain your ranking. What happens if your website rank drops? If it is because of an algorithm change, will the company work get the ranking back at no charge. Or, do they simply get your website ranked, get paid, and then the rest becomes your problem?

People's opinions of "money back guarantee" and SEO could fill another whole thread - and then some. The same questions I asked for "results" could be applied to "money back guarantee". Because there are several steps to an SEO program, a free one month trial would not be viable. However, companies that are confident in their service can offer a "no obligation, cancel anytime" program. The company gets paid, and if the client feels they are not a good fit, or is not happy, they are not tied down to a long term contract.

• Like Like x 1
  6. noreturn

noreturn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have seen a few people that do this, but I personally dont do it because I am sure that you will see results, how good, I am not sure. The only time I can really think that you might not see results is if they already have good results and they are wanting even better results. But if they already have good results I dont really see why you would want "better" because there is a point when it becomes to far.

7. smartkathy

smartkathy
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends upon our situation. No result no pay is a very good strategy to convince clients.

8. zeropid

zeropid
    uix_expand uix_collapse

IF they are offering guarantees I'd try

9. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is good for the buyer but risk for the seller. Many seller that ask client pay for the result may get nothing end of the day

10. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

if you check out my post above you'll see why I wouldn't recommend it. They may not be guaranteeing what you think they are, or they may provide what they guarantee, and nothing else, leaving the client with the problem of maintaining what they acheived.

Here we have two separate views. Unfortunately, smartkathy says nothing to support her position, including no evidence that the strategy works. Sigma, on the other hand, gives a very good reason why it is not a good idea for the company offering it.

11. smo9marketing

smo9marketing
    uix_expand uix_collapse

That's like going to a doctor and saying

no cure, no pay.

or a teacher and saying

no pass, no pay.

life is risk. risk and learn.

12. dgeneschi

dgeneschi
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've never outsourced my SEO so take with a grain of salt, but I'd say that if the seller is otherwise credible (can point to legitimate successful client work/testimonials) I would not be concerned (and in fact, would even be reassured) by this sort of policy.