Do you listen to the news and read newspapers?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

For many years I was a strong believer in the importance and benefits of keeping up to date with the latest business, economic, news and current affairs. I regularly listened to news programmes and spent at least a little time reading a newspaper on most days. This has served me well (in my opinion) because it gave me a real world knowledge of business and helped me to stay abreast of trends and developments that affect business.

However, in recent months I've been reading a lot less newspapers and have often gone as far as to avoid the news. It just seems too negative and depressing. We had the great news story of the traditional miners this week, but most news of late (in Ireland anyway), is bad news about the recession and job losses etc. I feel that I've heard just about enough of the government bailing out corrupt bankers and of the economic woes being experienced by and throughout the country. We've had even worse news stories that just ran and ran, stories on everything from huge problems in the health service to horrible church child abuse scandals.

On the one hand I'm glad not to be listening to as much bad news, on the other hand I'm concerned that I'm losing out by not keeping abreast of the latest business and economic news.

So, what about you? Do you listen to the news? Do you ever find it negative and depressing?

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do regularly watch the evening news. Well, it can't be helped since my parents are watching while I was working on the living room. :D And I agree that most news nowadays are either bad or just full of unnecessary stuffs that's better to be kept private (LOL Showbiz) especially the lovelife of our President.

But as an old saying says, "When there's bad news, there's always a good news!" With that said, there are still some good information that we can get from news that we see on TV and read in newspapers that we might not get when we are just working in front of the computer.

3. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I do watch news and read newspapers. This allows me to keep update what is happening worldwide. Which is good for me.

4. mv5869

mv5869
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It is too easy to get news overload. The vast majority of what is reported is neither important, nor useful. As to whether it is even "news" depends on your definition I suppose. For anyone who has spent any time in the USA you'll know that getting hold of anything that most Europeans would consider newsworthy is near impossible.

A good way to keep up to date without being absorbed in minutia is to read a weekly news digest. In the UK "The Week" is quite a good one. Overseas some of the weekly newspapers are good too. Or of course there is the Economist, which covers pretty much everything with a heavy dose of scepticism.

5. madvk308

madvk308
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't really watch TV. However I religiously have my news websites that I read every morning, as well as the relevant business news as I have stocks etc.

Personally I like keeping in touch with the news, it helps create topical conversation with colleagues as well as understanding the state of markets on a global scale.

6. Rubs

Rubs
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't have a TV and haven't watched a news program in years. I only look for news that I'm interested on the net (mostly professional stuff), and I keep away from all the politics-disaster-flu-drama brainwash. Contemporary news rarely bear any positive/creative energy. And I'd rather get some of that stuff, than overload myself with some worthless info.

Ask yourself - do the news programs you watch really help you? Even if you find that they do, do they do it in an efficient way?

7. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I do like the idea of reading a weekly news digest and will purchase a few weekly publications over the coming weeks and decide on the one that provides me with the most useful weekly content.

8. navast2010

navast2010
    uix_expand uix_collapse

No, i do not like to read newspapers, sometimes I will take some time to read some magazines i like to relax myself.

9. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I seldom listen to the News but i read newspaper everyday.
    The reason is reading is faster or saying save more time. And the news on TV are not actually report all the news but only partial of them.

And too bad to say nowadays hardly get good news, sad to say more than 80% of them are bad news which really negative and depressing.

10. janegreen

janegreen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Re:

Well ,I am also like to concern about the affairs, which makes me know better about this world than those who doesn't care. Of course, I may see some negative and depressing news , but I do not lose heart to this society.
    Just keep smile in your everyday life.
    Best wish!

11. ecoman

ecoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Bad news does affect us, just look at the economy at the moment and over the past few years.

It's a self fulfilling prophecy, if they go on enough about there being a recession eventually everyone will believe it.

I listen to Radio 4 and the world service because of the quality of the news, unfortunately it isn't any more cheery.

12. Jahan Choudhry

Jahan Choudhry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

These days we have more choice over how we keep up with the news.

1. Keeping up with the news is of course good, but it depends what "news". Tabloid gossip is of course not very important.

2. I don't watch the TV news which requires me to be stationary in one place for a particular period of time, unable to take a phone call or go outside of the room. I read online, and at my own pace.

3. You can read about financial news by using the appropriate search words, or forums.

4. Using the internet gives you more control over what news you find out, and also you can learn about any part of the world, unlike TV.

5. A successful multi-millionaire and investor told me how useful it is to keep up to date with the news.

13. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't mind reading CNN online or something like that, but I despise local news. It's all depressing news that makes me sad or useless news like the cutest dog or something.

14. ecoman

ecoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think I read somewhere long long ago there was a news site that just focussed on good news, can't remember the name as it was sooooo long ago.

15. navast2010

navast2010
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I seldom waste my time reading newspaper , but I practise my listening on the Internet.