Do you find it hard to get out of bed in the morning?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

For most of my life I've found it difficult to get out of bed in the morning. I set two alarms every morning, first the radio comes on and a buzzer starts a few minutes later. It doesn't matter if I get up at 5.30 or 10.30, it's still difficult for me to get up and active. What about you?

I'd like to be the kind of person who can't wait to get out of the bed and who jumps out of bed with enthusiasm when the alarm goes off. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can get to that point?

2. eBiz

eBiz
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It's not that difficult really.
    If we had a goal and we strive to accomplish.
    You will get out immediately.
    Believe me!!

3. Gary Barzel

Gary Barzel
    uix_expand uix_collapse

eBiz- There are night people and morning people. Night owls have a much harder time getting up in the morning then a morning person.

Fergal- I too have a hard time getting up in the morning. I go to bed much earlier then I used to and it helps a bit. Other things that have worked for me is, to reward myself with something that I normally wouldn't do in the morning. I have also found that snoozing my alarm clock is counter effective to being more restful. When I jump out of bed at the sound of my alarm instead of snoozing it, I feel much more energized then if I go back to sleep for that extra 20 minutes or so.

• Like Like x 1
  4. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This is really what I hate, waking up early in the morning and your sleep is not enough.

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have this bad habit when i was at high school. that's very easy to stop this kind of habit
    what you need to do is tell yourself what time you going to wake up tomorrow morning and how important is it before you sleep, then you can probably wake up around that time.

6. Winflo Finan

Winflo Finan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Put your alarm across the other side of the room and set it to a bad music channel, or just an annoying bleep. If it's really annoying you will have to get out of bed to turn it off.

7. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I would agree with all of that, sleeping earlier and getting up at the first alarm helps. It's all about will power. I am learning the hard way also.

Winflo Finan - I have tried that in the past, but it just annoys me.

8. ChestnutDesign

ChestnutDesign
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I struggle to get out of bed in the morning. I know I will feel better if I just get out. I know if I keep hitting snooze I'll be running at the last minute. I have tried putting the alarm out of reach but that doesn't stop me getting back into bed. I agree with Gary, there are night people and morning people. I'm definitely a night person, so each night (or early hours of each morning) when I'm climbing into bed, I remind myself of how much better I feel when I just get up and get going, sometimes it works and most times it doesn't!!!

9. JPM

JPM
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am definitely a night person also, i feel much more 'alive' later in the evening.

10. karoshio

karoshio
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I hate getting out of bed although that is generally due to not having a sleep pattern. Sometimes I get 4 hours sleep and wake up feeling great, other times I get 12 hours and feel like death and just want more sleep then the rest of the times I am on my computer so long I don't realise the time and I do not get tired so I just don't sleep that night.

I'm definitely not someone who can help with this. I wish I could do this also, just in general not only meaning in the morning.

Only thing I can see is I have noticed my awakening is better upon the quality of sleep I get? Not quantity at all, just quality. Say if I did something around an hour before I sleep which isn't exactly legal but not bad at all I can wake up a lot faster in the morning due to my sleep being so damn good. (hopefully this is not misunderstood to be something weird.)

The above may not be appropriate to you at all it my point is that I am sure there are other things you could try to improve your sleep quality, which may help or it may not.

#10 karoshio, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  11. Matt

Matt
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I have trained myself to get out of the bed once I wake up. I have been trying to get in the habit for almost a year now and I have finally achieved it; it takes some work. I actually prefer to wake up early rather than lay in bed for one hour every morning. If you think about it, if you spend one hour in bed every morning, that is 360 hours a year just laying in your bed. I know I have better things to do than that.

12. daytrader

daytrader
    uix_expand uix_collapse

alarm clock also didn't work to me back when i don't have something to look to.
    but since i got my fishes in my aquarium, i tend to wake up early to feed them.

13. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks everyone for the helpful and informative replies. I do keep the alarm clock some distance from the bed, so that I have to get up to turn it off. It's rare that I get back into bed after that, but like what ChestnutDesign I sometimes do, even though doing that can actually make me feel more tired and groggy for the rest of the day. Like other people have mentioned, I seem feel just as tired when I get too much sleep as when I get too little.

What I might trying doing actually is, not using the radio alarm clock and just set the buzzer and get up as soon as it goes off. Perhaps that will make it easier.

How did you do that?

14. HostingBee

HostingBee
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ha ha Fergal, it's me. It is really difficult for me to get up in the morning. That's the reason why I am always afraid of getting up in early morning.

15. Clint Cora

Clint Cora
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For most of my life, I was not a morning person either. I was a night owl. But two things changed that kind of forced me to wake up earlier in recent years.

Ever since I became a certified ski instructor, I became one of those die hard skiers who want to get out for 'fresh tracks' on the slopes first thing in the mornings before the crowds come later. For me, this means getting up at 6 am on ski days and out the door by 6:45 am for a 2 hour drive to my fav ski slopes.

In order for me to get the required 8 hours of sleep, that means to bed at 10 pm the night before, which is early. Good thing I only do this on average 3 days per week but all winter long. I hate going to bed that early and getting up so early too. But once on the snow, I'm always glad I'm up there.

The other thing that changed for me is my current dogs. For some reason, one of them always gets up at around 6:30 am and checks on me to see if I'm up yet. Once both of them start moving, I sort of want to get up too unless I'm dead tired.

So I've gradually shifted my sleep and waking patterns over time and now I start to konk out early in the evenings (by 11 pm for sure) and wake between 6:30 to 7 am, including weekends. I might also get in a 30 minute nap early in the afternoon on some (but not all) days.

So with the right motivations, it is possible to make a shift in sleep/wake patterns in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Princeoftart

Princeoftart
    uix_expand uix_collapse

My handphone always runs out of battery, and that's because I set 7-8 alarms everyday... I understand my bad habit of turning off the alarm and continuing my sleep, so I set more alarms. When I have class at 10am (going to school takes me half an hour), I'll set my alarm at 8.22am, 8.30am, 8.37am, 8.45am, 8.52am, 9.00am, and the backup line 9.15am. The time is random but it has become my fixed alarm time now. I know I can be woken up like this.

But this doesn't work for certain people... Because they can't even hear the alarm :( I hope you aren't the kind of person... Whenever the alarm rings, your will of getting up must be ready too... "Today's a great day,", "There's an important discussion later,", "I'm dating Jessica today,"... Just give yourself the best reason to wake up... That's my way, hope it helps :)

17. garry

garry
    uix_expand uix_collapse

For me I believe that sometimes it is really hard to get out of bed in the morning specially when you are still sleepy and tire. The key that helps me to get up in bed in the morning is discipline.

18. sallya121

sallya121
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You can go to bed early,then you have enough time to sleep and can get up early.

19. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well it becomes easier to get up early in the morning, if we hit the bed early in the night. But the problem is that I find it difficult to sleep earlier and hence always rising late.

20. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The only way is enforce yourself, laying at the bed early until you get sleep and dont leave your bed for two week, then you might able to sleep early