Do you ever wish against yourself?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Fergal, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

There has been some occasions when I've noticed that I've been wishing against myself. For example, I love my websites and 99% of the time, the busier they are the more I like it. However, there have been rare occasions when I've felt very tired and found myself secretly hoping that my sites would not be very busy for the rest of the day. On other occasions I've set myself a certain amount of time to work on a particular project and then noticed myself wishing that the time goes quickly, when what I should have been hoping, is that the time went slowly so that I could get as much work done as possible.

What about you, have you ever noticed yourself wishing for something that is not in your best interest? How do you deal with that?

2. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I sack myself

No in all seriousness I learnt a valuable lesson back when I worked in research at a University. We would work all hours but there were days when everything was going wrong that we would cut our losses go to the bar and come back to try again tomorrow.

Stepping out and doing something different is very healthy when the mindset isn't there, when the mood is poor, or when everything is seeming to go wrong. There is rarely anything that can't wait and instead of spending the day fighting yourself and being relatively unproductive you escape and come back refreshed and often ten times more productive later.

Yes there are times I find myself wishing against myself and when I do - I do something else (if there's anything urgent I tie it up first).

When I was a manager we noticed we had a laziness, enjoying quiet times reception team developing in a clinic and our bookings were falling off. We tried to motivate and enthuse but for those that didn't want to be busy and kicking they were asked to leave.

3. OnlineBusinessZen

OnlineBusinessZen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Henry Ford said:

"Whether you believe you can, or you think you can't, either way you are right."

Whatever we believe becomes our reality. I went full time a short time ago with my online business, and I'm making more money than I was working, but I still listen to motivational podcasts and books each day to help me stay focused and most importantly keep a positive attitude. My business would be dead without it.

Brad

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I get days like that, definitely. I think when you get to the point when you're so tired that you're not in a good frame of mind, you need to just force yourself to step away for at least a couple of hours and regroup. Plodding on isn't productive. Often when I feel like that I just go take a nap, take a book outside and read if it's not too hot or watch something on Hulu that will make me feel better, like a comedy. Since I'm lucky enough to work from home it doesn't matter if I sit down at my desk at 3 in the afternoon or 3 in the morning, as long as I get back to it in a better frame of mind. I get much more done second time around.

On the wishing time away, I do that too and usually it's related to tasks I dread doing. We can't expect to enjoy everything all the time nor to be 100% productive every minute. That in itself isn't in our best interest. Maybe we set our expectations too high sometimes. I tend to procrastinate on starting those same dreaded timed tasks too. I find it's better to schedule them as #1 on the to-do list for the day and get them out the way. Otherwise I'll be very creative about finding how to put them off until tomorrow as I get more involved in other tasks when the day progresses.

We need that downtime to wind down, give our brains time to wander, to make sense of our world. There was a study reported in the LA Times last week about just how important allowing your mind to idle is. The closing statement sums it up.

5. agentmanningctu

agentmanningctu
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've had a few days like that recently. It really sucks when compared to the effort and enthusiasm I usually put into my blog. It helps to just distance myself from my work and relax.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for the replies, glad to hear that I'm not the only person who does this :) I will try to take more breaks that will hopefully energise me and fuel my creativity.

7. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm very glad to hear it. :) You may like this article on "how to make sure you're functioning at your creative best". It talks about how to take advantage of what comes up in those brain idling moments.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Kay, I spend a lot of time on the spontaneous pathway and need to start spending more time on the deliberate pathway.

9. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks Kay, I spend a lot of time on the spontaneous pathway and need to start spending more time on the deliberate pathway.