Do you ever feel overwhelmed?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I have my days when I have so many things that need my attention I feel like running away from home! :p I liked this article on 5 ways to escape that feeling.

Do you do any of these or can you make a suggestion yourself on how to tackle it and what works for you? Sometimes the only respite I get is when we lose power, seriously. And even then I spend time fretting about what I could be doing.

2. Remotestaff

Remotestaff
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Looks like you need a vacation, Kay ;)

But seriously, I think the best way not to get overwhelmed is to use the "One day at a time" principle. This just means you should only focus on the really really priorities for the day. Stuff that can be worked on for tomorrow, should be bumped off for tomorrow. That way, you don't get swamped and you don't expend too much stamina and emotional/psychological resources.

Whenever you get that overwhelmed feeling, simply pause, close your eyes, breathe in deep and exhale while thinking to yourself "I only need to focus on the things that are needed today. Tomorrow will worry about itself."

Lastly, a little food for thought >> The biblical Noah and his family didn't die or suffer any misfortune when they weren't able to finish constructing the ark by Day 1. The great flood only started when the ark was already finished, with Noah, his family and hordes of animals safely camped inside.

What I'm trying to say is: work on a timeline, but don't cram every deadline in one day, and when all else fails, ask help from family or friends.

Cheers

3. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Heck, I know it. My last vacation was eight years ago. It's been a very stressful few months both workwise and in my family life. My husband and I both do but can't find the time to do it. Crazy eh. You're right though, I tend to think weeks ahead when I need to just take one day at a time. I have been trying though! We both have, but some days are just tougher than others.

I'm looking at my whiteboard with the week ahead laid out on it and there's not a bit of space there. Maybe I need to get in the habit of just doing that the night before for the following day instead so it doesn't look so....what's the word..... ARGGGHHHH!!! Yes, that's the word. :p

Ignore me, I'm in a weird mood tonight. :) Thanks very much for the input.

4. Remotestaff

Remotestaff
    uix_expand uix_collapse

LOL :cool: looks like there's gonna be a new entry for the words and their meanings thread...and that's ARGGGHHHH!!! as in: an ARGGGHHHH!!! moment

Cheers

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Interesting article, I like the way she recommends focusing on only three big projects for a year. Just as she suggests, I tend to over-estimate all that I can achieve in a year and as a result don't achieve all that I could, had I have been more focused. That's a good tip to incorporate into my next New Year's resolutions.