Do you ever deliberately go offline?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement and Being Successful' started by Kay, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I read an interesting article on this at Lifehacker. How many of you do so and for what reasons?

2. Tecknowoman

Tecknowoman
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I purposely quit Skype to avoid interruption and difficult people who "need" to chat - big tip always do this before video a screen recording!

I start my day with 60min business/success reading - walk dog with partner

Go offline again mid day for this is gonna sound sad a lunch break with my dog (but who wouldn't benefit from a cuddle on the lounge in the middle of the day??)

Then again for an evening walk with you guessed it the dog and my partner

During the day I often sign out of email and never plan my day or tasks whilst connected - too much distraction. Being offline I can effectively ask "if I only had one hour today what one task would best improve my business"

The internet is a wonderful place full of dangling shiny baubles of opportunity but each of these is equally a distraction

3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Yes, I do. The Internet is much too distracting, hence I go offline when I need to work on a particular task or do some reading. Hence I voted for "All the time—whenever I want to focus exclusively on one thing and don't need an internet connection to do it" at the link you posted Kay. I was surprised to see that only 15.6% of respondents voted for that option.

4. WildCat

WildCat
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Sometimes I made myself switch off everything - TV, radio, computer - and enjoy silence. I can't say that I'm addicted to the Internet and online but I'm very close to it :)

5. OnlineBusinessZen

OnlineBusinessZen
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think you must go offline at times if you want to accomplish anything. If I want to focus on an article I will often switch to the laptop and open up a simple editor so I can focus on the article itself.

Similarly I have a routine for doing podcast/video work which first involves shutting all of the non-essential equipment down (phone, audio, etc) so I can focus and avoid extraneous noise.

Brad

6. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I think nothing clears the head like a break with your dog so I don't find that sad at all. I have two myself. :) As you say, the net's a double edged sword. It can hamper your whole day or make you doubly effective.

See, I do that too. Not for long, mind you. Probably about two hours max a day during my working hours.

I have improved in other ways though. I don't have my email open all day anymore like I used to for example. It will get checked three times a day unless I know I'm expecting something. Anyone that needs me more urgently has my number and let's face it, how many emails are true emergencies? My problem was I'd get sucked into reading the numerous newsletters I subscribe to and before I knew it, the day had got away from me.

That's a good thing to do! I like the silence. Even the constant noise of fans and AC running at this time of year grates on my nerves. I need periods of absolute quiet sometimes too.

I agree Brad. I've never been good at working in a noisy environment myself. For focusing solely on writing an article, I love Dark Room. You may want to try that sometime. You can't get anything more distraction-free than that. :D

Thanks everyone! I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that. Like Fergal, I was surprised at the stats and how few ever did.

7. navast2010

navast2010
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Simply,I always go offline on my messenger.Just want less disturbance.But when working or anytime I wanna chat with friends,I will go online,for communication.;)

8. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I don't even sign into Messenger anymore when I'm working unless I've prearranged it with clients to chat. They know all they need do is shoot me an email to arrange a mutually convenient time to talk and I will. I was losing far too much time with some that wanted to just shoot the breeze, which is fine when I have time to spare - I like to chat as much as the next person! :) - but not when I'm working on a deadline that's an hour away. Nine times out of ten it's fine, but I like to keep that door open where I can say not right now and not feel bad about it.

I respect their time and wouldn't just jump on them if I saw them sign in. I'd email them first to ask if it was a good time to talk. I think it's fair to expect the same from their end. So far no-one's complained and a few even adopted that for themselves LOL. I remain accessible, just at a time that suits us both. That way I can give them my full attention without being distracted because I'm worrying about the lost minutes ticking by.

I gave up asking some friends not to IM me when I'm working. And I set it to Busy and put "I'm working" yet they still would holler at me. :dunno: Ones that kept trying found themselves blocked, buddy or no buddy. I can't abide that. :mad:

9. rebecca16

rebecca16
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I some times am compelled to go offline when some of the 'friends' do not understand what busy status means.

10. neilfriston

neilfriston
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I did not understand in what regards you are asking. Do you mean staying in an offline (invisible) mode on different messengers? Or is it related to something else? :)

11. georgelukie

georgelukie
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes at times i do go offline intentionally to avoid people with whome i don't wnat to chat or to ignore my seniors while i am at work.

12. Remotestaff

Remotestaff
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Fortunately, I have both offline meetings and phone meetings to keep my time occupied enough, that there are times I don't have to go offline. It's enough that I'm physically away from my PC to give me sufficient breaks from being glued to my monitor for long hours every day.

13. Infinit-O

Infinit-O
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Let's face it, the advent of the internet age has really changed how we live. But that doesn't mean that the internet should run our lives. From cellphones to ipods, to ipads, and laptops, it seems like the whole world wants to get in touch at a click of a button, but a little "me" time shouldn't be ignored. Turning off your online presence even for just a little while? I'd call that healthy.