Do you copyright or trademark your brand?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by 50Cent, Jul 11, 2010.

1. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

When you create a brand and it goes very big and well, do you copyright or trademark your brand? Like sort of a secure.

2. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I'm not sure what distinction you're making there. Just to clarify on the differences:

for more on copyright (US): http://copyright.gov/

for more on trademarks (US): http://www.uspto.gov/smallbusiness/trademarks/faq.html

You'll need to check the laws and fees involved for your own country if you're outwith the US.

If it's written content you're worrying about, that is automatically under copyright protection the minute you create it and put it down on something. Meaning when it's in your head it's not under copyright protection because it's still only an idea. But once you put it down on paper, scribble it on a napkin, type it up on a computer or write it in a journal for example, it is covered.

3. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the explanation. So mine would be under copyright rite? because design and it is under my idea.

4. Kay

Kay
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Right, because you have fixed the design in a solid form. I'm no expert on copyright law though so that's to the best of my knowledge. Now, I saw you do logo and t-shirt design (nice work!) and had a look at that where the use of text is involved. There may be slight differences if you use a font that belongs to someone else for example, according to this article on design copyright laws. Take a look at that and also the links at the end of it to see if that helps at all.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Different laws apply in different countries. However, in Ireland what you are referring to would come under the remit of trademark. In Ireland trademarks are used to protect images used to identify and brand businesses. Read the excerpt below from the Irish Patents Office website.

The Intellectual Property Office of Singapore defines Trade Marks in a very similar fashion. Intellectual Property is a very complex area of law, and if you are investing a lot of money in your business branding, you should get professional legal advice on the subject.

6. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Basically, putting a trademark on your brand is the best way to prevent your competitors from copying, using, and earning from your brand, even though it is a design or a product.

7. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But it does not require any registration rite?

8. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

As far as I know, you need one and you need to pay for registration.

9. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Ok.........

10. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

50Cent I'd suggest that you contact the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore defines Trade Marks through the contact details on their site. You don't even need to tell them who you are, if you are not comfortable with that. Ask them questions about the exact requirements in your country.

In most countries you don't need to apply and register for a TradeMark. However, having a TradeMark registered, gives you additional protection from people who might copy your designs.

11. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But I see that you are using some free fonts on your designs.
    Do you think they allow us, designers, to use their fonts and make them a logo, and earn from it?

12. 50Cent

50Cent
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah it will be allow. Most designer are using free and paid fonts for there designs.