Do you buy backlinks?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Jay., Feb 10, 2013.

1. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was just curious whether you've ever bought (or considered buying) backlinks to your website?

Let me know your thoughts on this.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Buying backlinks is something that Google looks down on and they can penalise sites that buy and / or sell backlinks for PR purposes. I admit that I did buy backlinks for a couple of sites some years ago, but it is not something that I do any more.

3. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Interesting. Someone asks about buying links, and another member mentions a place where he bought links, but hides the fact that he is actually an affiliate of the place where he bought the links in another thread. Makes me wonder if he may have an ulterior motive for recommending them.

4. Jay.

Jay.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yes, I've heard sites can be quite badly affected if found buying backlinks, although often Google wouldn't actually find out, in which case for a small amount of money you could end up with a much improved search ranking. Personally I don't really think it's worth the risk any more, plus it isn't actually fair. However, I admit that like you, I did once purchase some backlinks.

5. bethw

bethw
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Buying back links is not considered good from SEO point of view. Getting organic links naturally through mediums like blogs, articles, directories, press releases and forums are generally considered as good.

6. eurekapsycrille

eurekapsycrille
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I never tried to buy links for my sites. Though Google says that they don't want webmasters to engage in link buying schemes, the truth is they are having big troubles tracking down those paid links.

The difference in technical issue is very close to nothing.

7. Picture

Picture
    uix_expand uix_collapse

There's a lot of money in the backlinks industry. I used to own a popular website and was regularly contacted by High Street chains which wanted to buy links, offering good money.

There's more people doing it than most think. In fact, isn't Adwords/Adsense effectively the same practice?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I suppose Google would argue that those ads are rotating and that the buyer of the ads only pays for click throughs on those ads. Hence, they would say that those ads are not sold for the purpose of passing on page rank or artificially impacting on search engine results.

9. pete.mcal

pete.mcal
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It depends on how you view "buying" links. A lot of companies engage in activities that cost money to indirectly gain links.

For example sponsoring events, clubs, individuals etc can be very cheap (if done on a low key local basis) but the links gained from being such a sponsor can hold good value in terms of building up your semantic index and pushing pagerank to your page(s).

Straight up paying for a link on a site is not good practice and if you have to do this to game the search engines you're in the wrong game. There are many ways to provide value, drive traffic and build links all at once (which is much better for your business overall).

10. BrettRko

BrettRko
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Here's another viewpoint, gathered from working with some of the bigger SEO agencies. All big SEO agencies buy backlinks. There, I said it. It's not really a secret to the SEO world. So, buying backlinks does work. In fact, it's the first thing many SEO agencies do with their corporate clients to get fast results.

The trick is to buy the right backlink. Google knows that if a page has a high number of outbound links (OBL) are probably using the site to sell links, and not necessary have good "user experience" in mind. Backlinks on blog networks are also bad, since this method got crushed with Panda/Penguin.

A $5 backlink is probably worth what you just paid for it. Most purchased backlinks worth anything costs between $30 to $50 monthly. Not cheap. So, if you don't know what you're doing, it's an expense that may not see any return.

If you want to buy backlinks to rank quickly, I would recommend going the web directory route. Most of these are legitimate, and get you links for a smaller fee. They can be place on content relevant pages with high PR.

Hope this helps.

11. williamjames732

williamjames732
    uix_expand uix_collapse

NO!! I don't buy Backlinks.

12. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I never buy backlinks. I build them myself or pay for stuff like an SEnuke blast.

13. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, there are people who buy backlinks under Google's radar. Kinda like privately between webmasters.
    Personally, I don't.

14. inishmaan

inishmaan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I did this for a couple of years and I think it was helpful. The problem is that, at the end of the day, really high quality sites just don't sell links through brokers, and Google is absolutely on the warpath against low quality links. My site got murdered in the Penguin update last year and I think low quality links were one of the reasons. I'd be careful about buying links and focus more on things that will actually bring human beings to your site.

15. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

In the almost six years we have been in business, we have heard all kinds of "Horror stories" from prospects who have hired SEO agencies that have made outrageous promises and have not achieved significant results for them. This is no doubt one of the reasons why. In order to attempt to fulfill the promises they make, they need to use unethical, black-hat methods that cause more problems than they solve. In fact, a major department store here in the USA, which would qualify as one of the "corporate clients" you referred to, was penalized by Google because of the techniques used by the SEO agency they hired.
    Buying backlinks may give a website a temporary boost, but it will no doubt come back to bite someone in the...well, you get the idea.

16. jaysh4922

jaysh4922
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Never...Buying links are not more effective like before, as per the panda update the paid link will consider as spam because paid link provide good number of link for single domain.Paid links will get you a good amount of links way faster than organically building up the number of inbound links to your site but the truth is that it isn’t that good an idea because Google considers buying links is a black hat activity and should be avoided..

17. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

How can Google know that it's a paid link?

18. BrettRko

BrettRko
    uix_expand uix_collapse

They can't. That's why they work so well but many people don't get it!

I'll give you a scenario. If you're on page optimization is done correctly, a site will rank faster with 5 to 10 purchased PR5 backlinks with proper anchor text than one where SE Nuke or some other back link tool is used to throw 2000 bookmarks at it.

This is especially valid now, post panda/penguin. Google is looking for authority, not spammy links.

19. Joseph.Shivell

Joseph.Shivell
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Community Leader
    Community Leader

Actually, they can, and your post shows how. If someone buys a large quantity of links from Mumbai, and throws them all out at once, chances are they are spammy lnks, and Google will penalize your website for them. Same thing with links created by SE Nuke or similar tools. Google can tell they are fake. On the other hand, if you purchase 5 to 10 links from someone who creates them properly, they are not considered paid links in the traditional sense, so they do what they are intended to do.
    With that in mind, 5 to 10 links will probably be created by an individual freelancer, not a big SEO agency, as mentioned in your previous post. A reputable SEO agency will have their own sources that can provide an ongoing, sustainable strategic linking program.

20. MrJohn

MrJohn
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You should never buy links simply to gain backlinks. That is just asking Google to come and "red flag" you. The only time you should ever buy links is when they are sponsor or advertisement links. The rest should be earned by creating a site that is worth linking to.