Do I need a business licence?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by gemma85, Apr 6, 2011.

1. gemma85

gemma85
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hey Everyone,

Im new to this so hope i'm doing it right ;)

I have been trawling the net over the last few weeks in order to try and find out if I need a business licence, however I do not find the county council sites all that helpful.

Basically I am a trained Body Piercer and am looking to open up a shop in Meath Ireland. However due to funds this may be a few months down the line. Therefore someone suggested that I do Mobile Body Piercing and travel to peoples houses.

The piercing industry is not regulated, but i'm almost certain you would need a licence, i'm just not sure where to start?

Any advice anyone can offer would be grately appreciated.

Thanks.

2. smith360

smith360
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Banned

If you are participating in any type of business that involves interaction with the public, where the product or service can potentially harm or put the public in danger, you have to have a license...

3. firstchoicecar

firstchoicecar
    uix_expand uix_collapse

All I know that you must have a business license in any business that you have,this is a requirement.

4. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Welcome to our Business Forum gemma85, I'm in Louth myself, good to meet you here.

According to the HSE there "are no registration requirements, no minimum structural or operational standards to be attained before opening such a business". The Citizens Information Board says something very similar "There is no legislation regulating body piercing and tattooing."

Bizarrely enough it would appear that you do not need any type of licence to start this type of business. However, it might help to contact your local Environmental Health Officer (you can find the contact details of the Navan office at that link) to let them know what you are doing and to ask if they can share any advice with you.

You could also benefit from contacting Meath County Enterprise Board to ask how they might help, support or advise your new business.

Good luck with the business, once you have it set up you would be more than welcome to promote it for free in our advertising section and we'd be delighted to answer any further questions you might have.

That's not true in every country. Many businesses based in Ireland (where the Original Poster is based) don't require any form of licence.

5. gemma85

gemma85
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi Fergal,

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it and can now hopefully get the ball rolling asap. I will definately continue to use this site it has been very helpful.

Thanks again.

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thank you gemma85, good luck with it.

7. jumeira123

jumeira123
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Business consultants

It is always better to utilize the services of business consultants to have hassle free license approvals ,registering and other business set up procedures.