Do I even Need a Business License for this?

Discussion in 'Growing and Managing a Business' started by Textmanager, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Textmanager

Textmanager
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if I even need to get a license or NFP status for a venture I am helping to create/ grow.

We are looking to make a Free Magazine. No cost to people, no profit seeking. But we want to get sponsors to help pay for the Magazine.

So do i need a business license?

And as a more general question does every organization that wants to provide a service need to be recognized legally to provide that service?

I assume it all really boils down to taxes.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Joe the Textbook Manager

2. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Hi Joe, welcome to Business Advice Forum and thanks for posting your business question. You wouldn't need a business licence to do that here in Ireland.

What country will you be setting the business up in?

3. Textmanager

Textmanager
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I am in the U.S.

4. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

This one comes down to the type of service as some do and some don't. It would be best to check with your local state authorities. I'm sure their must be either a business or community help service in your state somewhere.

Even if your chosen service does not require a license, there may be a recognised trade/service organisation that you could join. If so, it would be worth thinking about this as this could enhance your reputation and may also allow you to show a mark of quality on your website / stationary.

5. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with Sean, try to find an industry association or government funded business support agency that might be able to advise you.

You could also try contacting the Better Business Bureau. You can enter your post code on that page to find the BBB nearest to you. Even if they can't give you an answer they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Please post back to let us know if that helps or if you have any further questions.

6. Textmanager

Textmanager
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks. The information did help. The BBB was atleast able to refer me to another source. I have to contact the Commisioner of Revenue of my city for a definate answer. I will update as I go. I live in the Hampton roads area of Virginia if that helps anyone narrow the field for getting to an answer.

Thanks again,

Joe

7. seanstevens

seanstevens
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Joe, someone you might want to talk to is the University of Virginia.
    They have their own magazine . The editor should be able to fill you in on local rules and who knows you may be able to get some other advice from them. Experience tells me you should always be nice to the local university, you might get some good contacts and potential customers.

8. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Sounds like you are going in the right direction Joe. You might also find useful info on the IRS website.

Another excellent suggestion, thanks Sean.

9. only4u

only4u
    uix_expand uix_collapse

hello.
    thank you for sharing your great info here Fergal
    really you have given very important as well as nice information here.

10. karima

karima
    uix_expand uix_collapse

HELLO.

thanks for the info here by you.
    i think you should need this license with you.

GOOD LUCK

11. Textmanager

Textmanager
    uix_expand uix_collapse

The answer!

So after enough research I found the answer. I just forgot to update here due to work and attending the equality march in DC.

It turns out I do not need a liscense. However, in order for the transaction between a sponsor and the entity recieving the sponsorship to benefit said sponsor the recieving entity must have a valid tax id. This is true no matter if the recieving entity is for profit or not for profit.

Since this cuts off an entire avenue of sponsorship it makes no sense to not get some type of business tax id. So I have to get legal recognition of being an independent entity which means getting a taxing status....

It makes sense but is really circular to me.

Thanks for all the help and Advice.

BTW the person I am working with for the free magazine knows people on the staff at UVA. It works differently since the school is involved if we are talking about the same thing.

~Joe

12. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

Thanks for taking the time to come back and update us with the answer Joe. I really hope everything works out for you and we'd be delighted to see you back here posting questions or your opinions to help others.

Good luck with everything!

13. angelS

angelS
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Main important thing is if you do want to do business legally then I will suggest you go with license. Otherwise no need to license.