Do Domain Extensions Verify A Sites Quality?

Discussion in 'Website Development & Design' started by JBMedia, Jun 28, 2011.

1. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I was talking with Karoshio a little earlier about what domain names I should use for a movie review blog I plan on starting within the next few days. He suggested one to me with a .org extension.

It made me think, is .org a bad extension to set up a site with. Generally speaking .com and .net are more popular, but does it matter that much?

Just wondering. Thanks for any information.

2. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Basically, COM is much easier to remember. Did you know people tend to naturally type .COM after the site's name?
    But generally, TLDs are not that important. What important most is your content and the quality of it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree with GekiDan. Dot com domains would always be my first preference for the very reason that when someone hears about a site they will often type the site name into their browser, followed by the dot com extension. If you own and promote a site on a dot org domain, where someone else owns the dot com version, you will also be helping to promote their site, because a proportion of people will always type in the .com.

4. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thanks for the advice you two. I highly appreciate it. I'll do my best to find a good .com domain when registering new addresses.

5. sigma

sigma
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Extension doesn't matter, look at wikipedia, they are using .org and they beat many .com because of the content. The only advantage for .com domain is easy to memories. However, it doesn't make much different if you have great content. For the movie related site, better go to .tv if you willing to spend more (.tv is more expensive than .com)

6. Fergal

Fergal
    uix_expand uix_collapse
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

I agree that content is the most important factor and that it is more important than the domain name extension, I own a very successful forum on a .net domain myself. However, if you can get it, you are generally better off with good content on a .com domain than good content on any other domain extension, IMO. What you say about Wikipedia is true, however they also own the .com version of the domain and it redirects to the .org site, ditto for DMOZ.

7. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Well, I have seen successful INFO sites out there. :)

8. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Yeah, that seems to be VERY seldom though. :p

9. GekiDan

GekiDan
    uix_expand uix_collapse

But still... :p

10. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Taking this a step further, if the user is on a smartphone (for example) they'll actually have a shortcut to append .com where any other TLD requires it to be manually typed.

As already pointed out, the search engines have no preference for specific TLDs and will view each site on their merits not the TLD. Where it can have an impact is on user behaviour. If you've got less technical users, they're far more likely to default to .com. If you've got technical users, they'd potentially view a specific relevant TLD (be it due to a ccTLD [e.g. far more restrictions on obtaining a '.ie' ccTLD than a '.com' gTLD, so it can lead technical Irish users to view it as more relevant and more trustworthy] or a specific activity) in a better light and have an impact on your click through rate and various user related metrics.

The general rule of thumb already given "go with a dot com as long as you can get the domain you want" is one I'd fully agree with. When you can't get the .com version of the domain you desire, the issues get a little more complex and it's hard to give rules of thumb. In some cases it makes sense to go with a less desirable .com and in others it makes sense to go with a different extension even though you have a rival on the .com version.

• Like Like x 2
  11. JBMedia

JBMedia
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Thank you Paul. You seems to always give me excellent and very informative advice. I really do appreciate it. I have chose a .com for my new site I purchased which will be turned into a blog. Who knows what other ones I will get later on though.

12. PaulPinnacle

PaulPinnacle
    uix_expand uix_collapse

You're more than welcome and thanks for the compliment. I always try and pitch in where it's a question in an area I have knowledge in, knowing it'll get repaid ten times over when I've a query in an area someone else has expertise in. The joys of community forums that actually have a solid community.

Sounds like a good choice. As long as you didn't have to make a large sacrifice on the desired name, the .com is always the 'go to' TLD (even if just to redirect to a ccTLD, I'd always hope to pick up the .com).

13. Jerlene

Jerlene
    uix_expand uix_collapse

It does not validate a site's quality. I ran across someone who was pretty adamant that it did and the argument coming from his side was just ridiculous. The content makes a website, not the domain extension.