Do document sharing sites help get traffic, leads and sales?

Discussion in 'Internet Marketing' started by BlogMarketingTip, Jul 18, 2013.

1. BlogMarketingTip

BlogMarketingTip
    uix_expand uix_collapse

I've tried using Slideshare and Scribd for traffic. Uploaded documents, ranked them on the first pages, gave good descriptions but any good traffic won't show up. When I put a document or slideshow on Slideshare I usually get between 200-250 views the very first day, from the next day only 5, in a week the traffic disappears. On Scribd I can only get 5 hits per day for a week or so. The shock is this traffic doesn't convert and they don't even leave comments. I don't publish poor content or something. I see most people have the same problem with these sites meanwhile there are big guys who indulge themselves with huge traffic and popularity. Do you succeed with document sharing sites? How do you do it? Please, share your experience.

2. Mr.

Mr.
    uix_expand uix_collapse

What Are Document Sharing Sites?

Document sharing sites are similar to social media sites, where you can share your videos or links from your blog pages or posts. With document sharing sites you are able to share PDF files (*.pdf) , Word documents (*.doc), Open Office Word (*.odt), and even full PowerPoint presentations (*.ppt).

Think of these document sharing sites as “public” cloud storage for basic text-based files.
    Benefits of Document Sharing Sites To Increase Blog Traffic

Document sharing sites have grown in recent years. This means they have high PageRank and often rank very well in the search engines for keyword phrases. Because of this, they have a lot of inbound links. Most document sharing sites allow these links within your text to be clickable. So when you create your document, remember to put links throughout your article ending with a strong call to action.

How To Increase Blog Traffic With Document Sharing Sites

Document sharing sites don’t place so much emphasis on the article itself because of the way they are displayed in a special format. Instead, search engines tend to look at the description, tags, title, and any accompanying notes/comments. This means you can write one article, submit it to 3 document sharing sites, and then use variations in title, description, and tags for each of them without any fear of duplicate content. An article that has been properly optimized this way can easily rocket to the front page of Google in a couple of days.

If you are going to use document sharing sites to promote your blog to get more traffic, there are several things you will need to know.
    How To Create a Document

The easiest way to create a file to upload to document sharing sites is to use the content already published on your blog.

You can easily create a PDF file (*.pdf) by installing a free WordPress plugin called Print Friendly and PDF to your blog. This plugin will be located at the end of each of your posts. All you have to do is click the icon, and it does the work for you.

Another way is to add your post URL to a site called Zinepal. Zinepal will create a PDF file (*.pdf) and store it on their main site. This is a good way to get a backlink to that post. Be sure to add the URL of each individual post from your blog, if you want to convert old posts. Otherwise, it will only pull the first five articles from your main site URL.

Both options are free.

Once you have created your PDF file (*.pdf), you can then download these new files to a folder on your computer to share with the document sharing sites of your choice.
    Top 10 Document Sharing Sites To Increase Blog Traffic
    1) Scribd.com:

Increase Blog Traffic With Document Sharing SitesScribd is the world’s largest social reading and publishing company. They have made it easy to share and discover informative, entertaining, and original written content across the web. This document sharing site’s vision is to liberate the written word. They connect people with the information and ideas that matter most to them.

This site holds a PageRank of 8. So your documents will be indexed quickly.
    2) Slideshare.net:

Slideshare is a document sharing site that tends to spread virally through blog and social networking sites, like LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter. To give you an idea of the possibilities: recently, I uploaded one of my documents Increase MLM Blog Traffic In 7 Simple Steps, and I got 100 views withing 24 hours. Because of this, I received a one month free subscription to their paid service.

With their paid service, you can host your PowerPoint videos then embed them on your blog. This is a great way to increase your blog traffic.

This site holds a PageRank of 8.
    3) Sendspace.com:

Sendspace is a document sharing site designed to share your big files. For example, you are trying to get a video to someone, but you don’t want it on YouTube. You can upload it to Sendspace, and your receiver can watch it on their site. This is a backup service, but the documents on the site can be made public by default. Thus, they get indexed on the web.

This site holds a PageRank of 6.
    Increase Blog Traffic With Document Sharing Sites4) Box.com:

Very similar so SendSpace, Box.com lets you upload different types of files. With Box.com, you can have your team view your documents and edit them. You can also integrate them with your Google Docs (now known as Google Drive).

This site holds a PageRank of 7.
    5) Crocko.com:

The entire purpose of Crocko.com is to give people a place to download documents for a fee. So you can potentially sell your files and make money. Irregardless of whether you use the monetary benefit of this document sharing site, you will still get a backlink to your blog. Uploading is free. And this site holds a PageRank of 3.
    6) IFile.it:

Another good document sharing site. This site holds a PageRank of 5.
    7) Crocodoc.com:

Crocodoc.com is one of the document sharing sites designed to upload a big document. You can embed that document onto your website. This is a useful feature, if you are thinking of creating a huge PDF file to help your team through a problem, and you don’t want the hassle of having it on your own server.

This site holds a PageRank of 5.
    Increase Blog Traffic With Document Sharing Sites8) Issuu.com:

Have you ever wanted to publish your own magazine? There aren’t too many document sharing sites that can boast the claim that Issuu.com does. Their mission statement is to empower individuals, companies, and institutions to publish their documents in the form of magazines, catalogs, and newspapers. I know your creative juices just kicked in.

This site holds a PageRank of 8.
    9) A.nnotate.com:

Most document sharing sites have a free option that allows you to upload a small amount of stuff. I like this method because I can delete the stuff that isn’t getting traffic and replace it with new content. This website, however, charges on a credit basis, so depending on how much you plan on uploading, your costs could be anywhere from $5.95 to $199.95 (to reach that price point you have to be an uploading fool – just saying).

This site holds a PageRank of 5.
    10) 4Shared.com:

Some document sharing sites have integrated sync capabilities with other tools like mobile devices. 4Shared.com does this.

This holds a PageRank of 6.
    Document Sharing Site Tips for More Blog Traffic & Sales

Here are some of my best “insider tips” for getting more blog traffic with document sharing sites:

Save your file name as your keyword. For example, my “Increase MLM Blog Traffic In 7 Simple Steps” article could be saved as Increase-MLM-Blog-Traffic-In-7-Simple-Steps.pdf

Experiment with different file types. Sometimes you will find that PDF files tend to rank higher than DOC files or vice versa. I can’t understand the logic or process behind this but have noticed this.

Write a detailed document description that is at least 100 words long. Feature your main keyword + variations. Remember, search engines will look here to understand what your document contains.

Add plenty of tags (keyword variations).

Write a descriptive and interesting title. For example, something like “How To Increase MLM Blog Traffic In 7 Simple Steps”. (People love “how to” articles so will be more inclined to click.)

Put links throughout your article – not just in the resource box at the end. You should have a link or two near the start of your article as well as a prominent resource box.

Use a larger font when writing (at least 16 point). Your documents will display much smaller online, unless visitors opt to view in full-screen mode.

Conclusion

Increasing your blog traffic with document sharing sites really isn’t that difficult. I wouldn’t spend hours and hours every day submitting to them though. However, if you spend 30 minutes a day for a month, downloading a PDF file (*.pdf) of your most recent posts, you should definitely notice a big boost in blog traffic and sales.

If you don’t want to do this manually to the document sharing sites I’ve mentioned above, there is a plugin that will do it for you automatically. Every time you publish a new post, the DocPresser plugin will take a 300-500 word snippet of your new blog post and automatically upload a PDF file (*.pdf). with a link back to your website that says: Read More…. Using this plugin will free up your time for other proven profit producing article marketing strategies.

One Final Tip: It is a good idea to ping the documents you have uploaded to each document sharing site. This will get each document indexed even faster. (Here’s the secret: it will get you backlinks to your backlinks.)

Just bookmark each document sharing site, grab the link for each new document page, and head on over to some pinging services, like Ping-O-Matic.com or BulkPing.com. Then add each link and submit.

It is well worth the little time it takes to do this. The substantial rewards are increased blog traffic and sales!

source: http://julibecker.com/increase-blog-traffic/

• Like Like x 2
  3. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Hi BlogMarketingTip, usually the first few slides are hardly get response from public, but once we constantly publish the good document, it is potential grow the community interest.

For fresh slide you gain some success on slideshare, but after a week the traffic disappears. This answer that user like to visit new content, keep publishing new content may help user visit the previous content.

4. Rocky

Rocky
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Do have clickable links in your documents? The traffic on document sharing sites is usually users looking for information rather than buying a product in the first place.

Do you use a Call To Action in the documents? How do you measure if the traffic to your docs does not convert?

5. saahil

saahil
    uix_expand uix_collapse

To be honest, me and other friends who have been using document sharing sites hardly gets any traffic
    Except in a case - where a key document gets some backlinks for quality and ranks high

For example - suppose you run a Finance site and has uploaded the eligibility criteria - may be it goes viral or with authority
    then people may click on link of your site to make finance application

6. altcom

altcom
    uix_expand uix_collapse

it is harder, when users not trusted source. To win the trust, it is important to constantly release solid info. In addition, we can reuse the same info to create video or infographic, so that it can optimize the distribution and increase readership.

7. corelynx

corelynx
    uix_expand uix_collapse

Recently, document share sites are getting importance is online marketing. If you are asking about traffic generation through document share, then I will say "YES". The process helps to generate huge number of traffic.

But, it depends on your topic and presentation. I would love to suggest use short content and attracted images. Images help to attract traffic. Put naked URL, contact information in the content and add valuable original content, call to action form at your website.